Corner overflow

jamesculter

Well my dad left for his final tour and I have my first question. This is a 125 reef ready with a single ocorner overflow with a megaflow setup. The sump is a proflex sump 4 with dual inlets rating at 2200gph. Is there a way to make the drain and return in the corner overflow both drain pipes so I can get the sump to work close to its capacity. I would make a dual return line with loc lines hanging over the back. The sump is is located under the tank. What size return pump would I need....

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesculter http:///t/395182/corner-overflow#post_3517810
Well my dad left for his final tour and I have my first question. This is a 125 reef ready with a single ocorner overflow with a megaflow setup. The sump is a proflex sump 4 with dual inlets rating at 2200gph. Is there a way to make the drain and return in the corner overflow both drain pipes so I can get the sump to work close to its capacity. I would make a dual return line with loc lines hanging over the back. The sump is is located under the tank. What size return pump would I need....
Hi,
I am sure you could... But I don't think I would. The sump may have a lot higher capacity then the overflow can handle, but that does not mean that you need to reach the 2200 gph. You don't want super high flow through the sump. You want the water to move at a steady rate through the sump but not fast. The longer the water takes, the more contact time it will have with what ever filtration you have in the sump (skimmer, fuge, algae scrubber, macro algae).
For a 125g with a megaflow setup, you are probably draining 1500 gph into the sump. That is plenty. What return pump are you planning on using??
I like your thinking though on the getting the most out of the equipment you have!!! But for this one, I think most would recommend that you would get the most by keeping the overflow stock.

acrylic51

Agree with what was stated earlier.......Could be done, but wouldn't see any real gain with using the return bulkhead as a drain.....I am in disagreement however with the comment about flow through a sump being steady; not fast....That is purely speculative.....The flow rate through a sump can be as high as you want, but it's dependent on the sump design....There are quite a few setups that run a high flow rate with no issues.......

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/395182/corner-overflow#post_3517866
Agree with what was stated earlier.......Could be done, but wouldn't see any real gain with using the return bulkhead as a drain.....I am in disagreement however with the comment about flow through a sump being steady; not fast....That is purely speculative.....The flow rate through a sump can be as high as you want, but it's dependent on the sump design....There are quite a few setups that run a high flow rate with no issues.......
Good to know!!

2quills

Slower is quieter. :)
Is anything over 3-4x turnover per hour really necissary?
Heck I only need a turnover rate of about 2x per 24 hours to keep the pool clean and algae free.
I picked up a bubble blaster 3000 for the 120g and after testing it out im convinced that anything over 1000g per hour for that size tank is over kill.

acrylic51

Not necessary, but there isn't anything set in stone that states the "theory or number" most subscribe to is correct.....A lot of factors can come into play as far as the flow through the sump......