Corraline Algae gone white

jwill275

I just returned from three weeks vacation and it appears that the corraline algae that is exposed to light (a 2 month old 6" T5 Nova Extreme Pro) has turned white. Any algae in the shade or not directly exposed is still purple. Is this normal. I'm going to check my magnesium this evening but all my water #'s are normal
ph - 8.3
Amonia 0
nitrite/nitrate 0
Calcium 380 (I'm trying to get it higher)
temp 80
dkh 8.0 - 9.0
tank 125 gal

jwill275

The algae was beginning to turn white before I went on vacation, my lights are on for 8 hours with the blue lights on one hour before and after

skinsfan

same happened to me. I have nova extreme pro 39w x 6. All my coralline bleached unless under a ledge. I had good coralline with my pc's. Ive taken one 10k out to see if it makes a difference

stanlalee

normal. intense light or a lighting upgrade often kills off exposed areas of coralline. Usually grows back.

t-bone

Most pc setups seem to run 50% 10k and 50% actinic. Does one promote more coraline growth than the other? So if my goal is to grow coraline I could go 75% /25% through bulb combos. Assuming actinic is better for growth, would I lose anything by running more actinic and less 10k?

oceansidefish

Mine did this too on the powerheads and then it turned back to purple a couple of weeks later. No changes to the tank though, never could figure it out

spanko

I do know that any exposure to both air and light will bleach. It will eventually color back up though.