Cotton on LR?

aceroc

I went to a buddies house who just bought a house and they guy that sold it left his salt water tank with the house. I don't know alot about Saltwater and he knows nothing. One thing we noticed was some kind of maybe cotton, or thick spider web looking patches on his LR. Does anyone know what this could be and if you know of a picture of what it might be i can tell you if it is or not.
Thanks for the help

blemmy_guy

Its a worm, maybe a peanut worm or something like it, has a lot of little stringy things coming out of it. there a good thing to have.
todd

keonia

I know what you are talking about, I have the same thing it reproduces slowly and I used to use a sckrewdriver and pry it out.
I'm hoping someone would have a clue to what this is! It's stuck on the rock very good. BUT.....and I recently found out that it comes off easily when you take the LR out of the water and scrape it off!! It looks sorta brownish when out of water.
:notsure:

mudplayerx

Originally Posted by Blemmy_Guy
Its a worm, maybe a peanut worm or something like it, has a lot of little stringy things coming out of it. there a good thing to have.
todd
LOL nice try Blemmy. Definately not a peanut worm. You may be thinking spagetti worm...but I don't even think it is that. It is most likely a white sponge. I have tons of them all over my tank.
Blemmy, those peanut worms are unmistakable and revolting. BTW, Coral Magazine has a nice article on them this issue :joy:

keonia

I think someone called it a q-tip something and they were happy on recieving it on their rock as a hitch hicker!! SOmeone posted it on this SWF.com thread.
Thank goodness it doesnt grow like hair algae!

mdog30001

hey i get Coral Magazine to. I havent read it yet but i saw that it had an article on peanut worms in it. My favorite part of the magazine is when they put pictures of a persons tank, then describe it, and list what they have in it. This helps me a lot with my tank. Srry this is kinda off topic. :joy:

mcneal1958

Originally Posted by Aceroc
ya that is exacly what it looks like.
ok now lets see if anyone knows what it is. glad I could help with the picture.
Have a Blessed Day!!

keonia

Originally Posted by bigarn
Looks like some type of sponge IMO.

Big arn -- could it be the SPIDERWEB sponge? or

you know.. that pic of the white stuff looks like whats in my new refugium. I just put some algae in it and the next morning, it had all that stuff around. I threw 2 Blue legged hermits -- Anyone know if they will eat my algae?Also, threw in an astrea snail. It seems like they are cleaning it up.