could i get a puffer with my tank?

fishieness

Hey guys. I was jsut wondering if i could get a porcupine puffer with the 30 gallon tank i have right now. In it at the moment is a small tomoato clown about 1.5 inches, a snowflake eel thats about 8 inches, a coral beuty angle about 3 inches, and a sleeper goby thats about 3 inches also. Ive always wanted a porcupine puffer since long before i got a saltwater tank, and i have the chance to get one now, but i want to make sure he'll be okay with the other fish in there now. Will there be enough room?
Thanks for you help!

gasguzzler

He will put a lot of stress on the bioload and gets rather large to last long-term in a 30. I would say wait for some more water.

fishieness

yeah, i was jsut at the pet store and they had one for only 6 bucks.. and i was going to, i think i will sometimes this weekend,... I like them, but not as much as a porcupine... But thanks for the advice guys!

fishieness

would a valentini be a fin picker though? Cause i love the fish i have in there now and i wouldnt want a big old puffer picking at them

fishieness

i do like them, just not nearly as much as the porcupine.....
I jsut went into my lfs and got about 8 pounds of live rock and a mandarine psycodelic dragonette. So could i get a valentine with that and the fish listed above? And i heard those puffers are fin pickers... Rubberduck, you obviously have one, is this true?

gilpil

Not to give you bad news, but that dragonette is going to need about a 75gallon, with 100+ pounds of LR to survive. Unless is is one of the rare ones that is feeding on prepared food, and even that may not be enough. Also your tank should be set up for at least 6 months to keep that fish.

fishieness

waaaay to goooo local fish store..... They had him in a small tank with only a few pounds. and the guy said all i needed was about 10 pounds for him to do well

howardcu

Maybe if the tank was setup for a long time with no other fishes and it was the only fish in there, and then that is only a maybe. Mandarin fish are just very picky and like their live foods. But, I have a question regarding the puffers. I also would like to get a porcupine puffer, but in a 75 gallon tank that shares water and a large skimmer with 3 other 75's. I was wondering if the porcupine would be ok with a lionfish or a trigger. My other choice is a miniatus grouper or do they get to big for a 75? I guess I really want to know what a porcupine puffer can't be with. It will just be the puffer and one maybe two other fish in one of the 75's.