Could I still have Ich?

brettd

My FO aquarium was infected by Ich. I removed all inverts and LR and put it into Hypo on June 6. All has been great and I was about to raise the salt levels until I saw a single white spot on my Angel. It's on his body not fin. I have a Powder Blue Tang (Ich Magnet), two Yellows and several other fish that are all Ich free and have been for 5.5 weeks. I'm eager to get my inverts back in the display, but this little spot makes me nervous. I use a refractometer and there is a float valve in the filter attached to the RO Unit that keeps the water level at a constant level. I know it hasn't moved past the 1.009 sg for the entire time they have been in hypo. Is there any way there could be Ich after 7 weeks of Hypo?

nicetry

One spot doesn't signify a problem, IMO. If you're uneasy, leave the fish in hyposalinity for another week. It won't hurt them. Watch ther spot to see if it dosappears and returns or if other spots crop up or other fish show symptoms. The concern with hyposalinity is that there are strains of c. irritans (ich) that are resisitant to the treatment. These are being seen more frequently, but my sense is that your fish are okay and you could begin raising salinity. Just take a little more time to watch for symptoms.

brettd

Well, it's still there, but I'm quite sure it's not Ich - it's much too large. I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens. Thanks for your reply.