Could it be?

bobbyzat

Well, my tank is still very young, but my water parameters are testing great, and the few fish I do have seem to be doing very well. My only shortage so far is rock. I have 75 pounds of base rock, but only a few pounds of live rock. My cleanup crew is still very small, but that will be remedied tomorow. I noticed on my live rock last night a VERY small new addition. It is a light blue/purple thing growing, seems to be a small coral. My question is, when corals start to grow as LR hitchhikers, how small do they start off, and how long does it usually take for them to grow large enough to properly identify? Thanks for the inputs, and wish me luck.

razoreqx

Originally posted by bobbyzat
Well, my tank is still very young, but my water parameters are testing great, and the few fish I do have seem to be doing very well. My only shortage so far is rock. I have 75 pounds of base rock, but only a few pounds of live rock. My cleanup crew is still very small, but that will be remedied tomorow. I noticed on my live rock last night a VERY small new addition. It is a light blue/purple thing growing, seems to be a small coral. My question is, when corals start to grow as LR hitchhikers, how small do they start off, and how long does it usually take for them to grow large enough to properly identify? Thanks for the inputs, and wish me luck.

Hi Sarg..
Do you have a better description of this Hitcher? Does it appear to have tenticles?

bobbyzat

First off, There is no such thing as a Sarge, except maybe in the Army. But as far as the hitchiker, it is very small, like an 1/8th to a 1/4 inch wide. It seems to have a tail/stem leading to it from below the rock, and it has several tentacles, sort of like a polyp. Still really small and hard to see. To see it clearly, I have to get close enough to fog up the glass.

razoreqx

Originally posted by bobbyzat
First off, There is no such thing as a Sarge, except maybe in the Army. But as far as the hitchiker, it is very small, like an 1/8th to a 1/4 inch wide. It seems to have a tail/stem leading to it from below the rock, and it has several tentacles, sort of like a polyp. Still really small and hard to see. To see it clearly, I have to get close enough to fog up the glass.

heh! I thought that would get under a Marines skin!
Im thinking it could be "Aptisia" I could be wrong with no picture, but that sounds like what your describing.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/49268/aptisia

bobbyzat

Well, like that post said, the color could be different, because mine is a blueish/purple. Hopefully not though. But still would not surprise me as young as my tank is.

bobbyzat

After looking at it some more, I have seen it draw its tentacles in. Shape wise it looks like a VERY small feather duster. Do they start that small, and do they come in that shade of color?