Couldn't find Southdown at Lowe's or Home Depot

malounsbury

Check the bag to see if its some sort of argonite sand. If it has silicon in it, its not going to be good for your tank.

lefty

Just a word of caution--
I went to both stores looking for Southdown, but they both didn't carry it. I decided to buy the playsand they had at Home Depot, and then I planned on buying a bag of pretty white sand to put on top of it. Well, when I added the playsand to my tank, it made a huge sandstorm. The sandstorm didn't go away. The water stayed a dark, murky brown for the 4-5 days I let it sit. It didn't show any signs of clearing up, so I ended up dumping all the RO/DI water out of my tank, took the sand out, cleaned the tank up, and went and purchased some pretty white sand from *****. Also, the playsand was pretty ugly when it was wet--a dark brown color.
You may not have this problem, but I felt it my duty to share my experience. I even rinsed the sand before I put it in. If you do end up using the playsand, be sure to rinse it very very well. I wouldn't want anyone to have the same problem I did. :)
-lefty

big boy69

My plan was to put it in a pillow case and soak the ---- out of it then transfer it to the tank.
Maybe i won't even use it.
I checked the bag to see if it has any sislicone in it and i can't see it listed anywhere on the bag. Maybe i'll see if it's on their web site to tell me more.

lefty

I believe it is silica based. But, a lot of people on this board do use silica based sand without problems. Generally though, people will advise you against it. :)
-lefty

wwfstyle

Check with your LFS they usually charge about $30-$35 a bag. Ya I know thats high but if you cannt find it then it's worth it. My LFS just gets it from there dealer with there supply order.

mbrands

Originally posted by wwfstyle
Check with your LFS they usually charge about $30-$35 a bag. Ya I know thats high but if you cannt find it then it's worth it.

I couldn't agree more with wwfstyle!! I bought 2 50 pound bags of aragonite (not live) sand from my LFS. It has taken me about 3 weeks to remove all of the crushed coral I had in there to start. Tonight I added about 30 pounds . . . its tough to do because I don't want to remove my LR. The sand looks 1,000 times better and it is not brown or mucky at all. I added it without having to rinse it and it didn't cloud up my tank at all. :D

spankey

The trick to finding the southtown in the home depots is to look in the garden section.. I found two bags of southtown here in the Pottstown Home Depot last weekend...
And, yes the pillow case is what I do, but I run a garden hose on full blast to swirl the dust out of the sand.... This should work for you.....
Hope I was helpful...
Spankey

cowfishrule

the hd by my house has 2 pallets of southdown sand
you gotta look outside, they never keep it inside
i betcha thats why so many people cannot find it

big boy69

I just found some at the HD in Hilltown, PA 215-723-0668,
I believe there is like 40 or 140 bags left.
It's not made by South Down, i think it said Dura something?
But it is white Tropical Play sand. I'm picking up two bags tonight. I think it was $4.99 for 50lbs.

spankey

Exact same sand.. I even seen it called white castle... I will be adding my 100lbs to my new 46 gallon bowfront today.. I will be doing this pillow case though.. I can't tell you how well that works.... I swear by it now... After cleaning filter floss for about 30 times a day to try to filter the sand dust before I did the pillow case... What a difference this is....
Spankey

spankey

LOL-
Thats exactly what it will look like... Its just big headache... I made the mistake of leaving my southtown in the back of my grand cherokee till today... we have cold weather here like in the single digits.... Now my sand is a rock..... Go figure...LOL
Spankey

big boy69

On the outside of my newcastle bags it says not for aquarium use. I wonder if the indusrwas getting pissed at them??
But it says from the caribbean, tropical play sand, no silicone,. steralized.