Could've Been BAD

meowzer

OK..this is something that happened due to MY neglect...and LUCKILY it ended up okay
I run a cascade 700 with a flow bar on my 55g...I had noticed recently that the flow bar was not flowing across the water as usual.....I just figured it was cause the suction cups were loose, and it was lower than usual.....wellllll.....today I decided to adjust the bar.....when I put my hand in front..there was NO WATER COMING OUT
......yikes...right
so I immediately pulled the plug and closed the valves.....it seems the intake was clogged shut
.....the motor was still running, and the water INSIDE the canister was HOT HOT HOT.....I took the whole thing apart......cleaned all tubes, hoses, anything I could get my hands on.....put it back together......re-hooked it up.....and LUCKILY.....it still ran....no leaks or anything
WHAT I am trying to say here is ....CHECK YOUR INTAKES..
....mine is behind stuff so I rarely looked at it.....That WILL NEVER happen again......

flower

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3282441
OK..this is something that happened due to MY neglect...and LUCKILY it ended up okay
I run a cascade 700 with a flow bar on my 55g...I had noticed recently that the flow bar was not flowing across the water as usual.....I just figured it was cause the suction cups were loose, and it was lower than usual.....wellllll.....today I decided to adjust the bar.....when I put my hand in front..there was NO WATER COMING OUT
......yikes...right
so I immediately pulled the plug and closed the valves.....it seems the intake was clogged shut
.....the motor was still running, and the water INSIDE the canister was HOT HOT HOT.....I took the whole thing apart......cleaned all tubes, hoses, anything I could get my hands on.....put it back together......re-hooked it up.....and LUCKILY.....it still ran....no leaks or anything
....mine is behind stuff so I rarely looked at it.....That WILL NEVER happen again......

Good advice, I would never have thought of it. I'm surprised it didnn't burn up.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3282452

Good advice, I would never have thought of it. I'm surprised it didnn't burn up.
LOL...Usually if something is gonna go wrong...it does on me....I am sooooo glad it didn't burn up too.....I have been kinda busy caring for the 225 and it's issues I guess......I need to watch the other tanks too ;)....just bi-weekly w/c's are not enough.....

scottnlisa

......yikes...right
Wow. Yes thanks for the advice and good catch on your part. I am very glad everything worked out good for you.

flower

Was the canister itself hot, could I check it by just touching the top for heat?? Or Do I need to get out a ladder to reach the back of my tank to make sure everything is flowing?

meowzer

http:///forum/post/3282464

Was the canister itself hot, could I check it by just touching the top for heat?? Or Do I need to get out a ladder to reach the back of my tank to make sure everything is flowing?
if you actually put your hands on the canister body I think you would be able to feel the warmth. You can see your flow bar...can't you Flower???? just put your hand in front of it (if you can't see the flow)....you'll feel the water moving.....

tank a holic

......yikes...right
I don't think "re-hooked it up" is grammatically correct

flower

http:///forum/post/3282466
if you actually put your hands on the canister body I think you would be able to feel the warmth. You can see your flow bar...can't you Flower???? just put your hand in front of it (if you can't see the flow)....you'll feel the water moving.....

LOL…I lost this thread……My spray bar is set vertical, so I can't see the flow on top of the water like you are talking about...I can feel the pumps, they are right under my cabinet. They vibrate a tiny bit, but are not warm so I guess they are okay. .I am doing a water change today and that will be a perfect time to double check everything.

meowzer

http:///forum/post/3283410

LOL…I lost this thread……My spray bar is set vertical, so I can't see the flow on top of the water like you are talking about...I can feel the pumps, they are right under my cabinet. They vibrate a tiny bit, but are not warm so I guess they are okay. .I am doing a water change today and that will be a perfect time to double check everything.
Flower...if you put your hand in front of the spray bar...no matter how you have it.....you should feel the water coming out

flower

http:///forum/post/3283423
Flower...if you put your hand in front of the spray bar...no matter how you have it.....you should feel the water coming out

With the canopy on, the bar is way in the back where I can't reach it without moving furniture or the canopy.
I just did a water change, all is well. The caps to the intake tubes were full of little algae hard crusty things but it still flowed okay, I cleaned them up out...man were they sharp. I cleaned up my power heads too, they had those crusty sharp things in it too..any idea what it is? They were the same deep red color as some of my coralline on the rocks, so maybe that is what it is.

OOOO Grandbaby number 14 arrived last night…Baby Mark is 7 pounds 9 ounces and healthy! I won’t get to see him until this weekend…they live way up north and I work tonight. I am a little (very little) miffed, I haven’t got an e-mail with a picture…LOL..(5 grandkids are by marriage but I still count them as mine)
My coral arrives today, I can hardly wait…It’s a good day all around.

stdreb27

yeah when I ran a canister filter, i pulled everything out monthly and made sure to check the output daily. (it helped my puffer lived in that flow)