Couple of Probs in tank

dragonfish

So i have got a couple of problems. I dont know all the techinal terms but i have the little clear purple annomies in my tank and have bought some pepermint shrimp to eat them. The thing is that they havent! The guy at my LFS said to buy a butterfly. Any suggestions??
Also i have a TON!! of the little white starfish. are they a prob??? any kool thing i can get to eat them?? always looking for a new addition to the tank.
so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
thx.

michaeltx

clear anemones are probably apistia if you can get a picture it would be helpful in a positive ID because you say purple.
as far as the starfish look asteria stars or mini stars. 99 percent of them are good and the only way to tell the bad from the good is when they start to do something wrong. which is rare so i wouldnt worry about them.
Mike

dragonfish

Thats it thats it. apistia is what they are called. thx for the right word. ya thats what i got. and i want to try to get rid of them. LFS man said butterfly was the way to go. any suggestions?

miamishrip

if possible remove the infested rock and put into quarantine and put the peppermint shripm in the quarantine as well - dont feed em and see what happens when they get hungry... cant wait forever to be fed can they? :)

dragonfish

true but its going to be a couple of weeks b4 quarantine will be available.
What bout the butterfly would that work??

dragonfish

its 20gal. Guy at my LFS said that i could sort of rent one of his little ones so it could eat them. so its sort of a plan B.

wangotango

i would say that it would take a while for the butterfly to get settled in before he starts eating them, and most of the cobberbands ive seen are not in the best shape, but i guess it could be a last resort. why not try some joe's juice? your pH will go up, but if you use just a tiny bit, and siphon out any extra you might not have as much of a problem. i just used the stuff on my 55, and within minutes they were gone! just a suggestion though.
-Justin

wangotango

Originally Posted by Dragonfish
boiling water wont hurt any shrimp or fish?? and once it hits the tank water it wont cool too quickly??
i have done hot water, but yes it does cool off and is not as effective as joe's juice. you could also try the alkalinity component of b-ionic (if you use it). joe's juice is like $8 and really works, and i would seriously give that a shot. it raises your pH, but it wont harm anything, unless it gets injested maybe, but just siphon off the extra.
-Justin

dejaco

Microstars - and they are great to have in abundance.
Aptasia - wonderful product called "Aptasia control"
white liquid like paste that is used in syringe with no needle and fed to critters. You spot feed them and watch them enclose on it - tale it in - and then quiver and die! The lfs has been demoing it for about a month now and it seems to work great. It also has had no ill affect on the rest of the tank!