Couple of questions.

curry

Before I post the questions here are the tank specs:
30 Gallon Long - no protein skimmer - no sump
Modded AC70 with surface skimmer - (contains chaeto, chemi-pure elite, purigen and filter floss)
Lighting: T5HO - 2 x 39watt - 10k and actinic bulbs
Flow: Koralia 1 and Koralia Nano
Live stock: Cinammon clown, clown goby, spotted shrimp goby, green chromis and 6 line
CUC: 30 dwarf cerith snails, 7 nassarius snails, 10 misc small hermits.
Coral: Softies, LPS and SPS
Water Parameters:
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10
Calcium 440
alk and mag - untested

Question 1 -
I don't normally use a turkey baster to clean off my rocks. I did some tank cleaning today and a TON of crap came off my rocks.
How often should I clean the rocks? Is it normal for a lot of junk to come off them?
Question 2 -
Is 12 hours of 10k and actinic too much?
Question 3 -
Despite my use of filter floss I am still seeing a lot of fine particles in my water. The water is clear but you can see lots of particles still in the water. Any ideas?

ibanez

How long has this tank been up and running? Do you have any algae problems? If you don't have algae problems or detectable phosphate and nitrate stays in check, you probably have little critters taking care of the detritus on the rocks for you.
As far as the lights, it is not too much unless you have algae problems, then you would want to lessen the photoperiod by a couple hours, but if you have no algae problems, and your corals are growing, you are fine.
For the particles, recharge your purigen, or fresh carbon. Maybe increase your filtration by adding another hang on the back. You may want to throw another hang on the back filter for more filtration, or more chemical filtration as well as better filtration through the tank.

curry

Tank has been up for 4 months now going onto 5. Corals are growing really well.
I do have some hair algae on my frag rack but no where else. Rocks are evenly covered with a small layer of green algae.

ibanez

Then you may want to start sucking the detritus off the rocks with water changes. Just do the tank in 3rds. Clean the rock on the left one week, in the middle the next, and so on. Also, shorten the lighting cycle down to 10 hours if the algae becomes the problem.

flower

One nano and a #1 koralia is not powerful enough for a 30g long. If you had proper flow there wouldn't be that much stuff on the rocks. I use a #1 in my cave and I can hardly feel the water flow when I put my hand up to it, and a nano is like nothing.
Try 2 #2 koralias on opposite sides. Running carbon will polish the water and as an added benifit, remove any chemicals the coral sends out against each other.

curry

Yea I figured the flow was probably not enough. I'll either get the two koralias or an MP10.
Do I need to run the carbon along with the chemi-pure elite?
Thanks,
Lochan

flower

Originally Posted by Curry
http:///forum/post/3244343
Yea I figured the flow was probably not enough. I'll either get the two koralias or an MP10.
Do I need to run the carbon along with the chemi-pure elite?
Thanks,
Lochan

The Chemi-pure removes phosphates, carbon polishes the water to make it clear and it helps to remove toxins in the water. Yes, you can run them together.

curry

Ohhh... I was always under the impression that the chemi-pure had some carbon already in it...

flower

http:///forum/post/3244348
Ohhh... I was always under the impression that the chemi-pure had some carbon already in it...

It may have some but not much. I usually use Purigen for phosphates, and carbon to clear my water and keep the corals chemical warfare under control.
The stuff you see floating in the water could be the junk off the rocks. I run 2 canister filters on my 90g tank. The stuff the power heads suspend, my filter crabs up and takes away. I am not familiar with your filter system. I have heard of wet/dry, sump and canister filters.

curry

Got ya. While I have you here... hehe..
I have 2 small media bags I can fill with carbon. Whats a good brand to pick up?

flower

http:///forum/post/3244353
Got ya. While I have you here... hehe..
I have 2 small media bags I can fill with carbon. Whats a good brand to pick up?

HA HA...I buy those knee high stockings and use those, one can be made into two bags to fit in my canisters, tie a knot and I am all set. I buy the box with 12 in it for $5.00 or $6.00 Those media bags cost a fortune.
Any carbon that says activated is good.

curry

I got the media bags for free the last time I went to my LFS. They're about the same size as the bag of carbon that comes with the AC70.
Stockings are a good idea... i'll give that a shot if anything...lol.
Thanks!

http:///forum/post/3244052
Before I post the questions here are the tank specs:
30 Gallon Long - no protein skimmer - no sump
Modded AC70 with surface skimmer - (contains chaeto, chemi-pure elite, purigen and filter floss)
Lighting: T5HO - 2 x 39watt - 10k and actinic bulbs
Flow: Koralia 1 and Koralia Nano
Live stock: Cinammon clown, clown goby, spotted shrimp goby, green chromis and 6 line
CUC: 30 dwarf cerith snails, 7 nassarius snails, 10 misc small hermits.
Coral: Softies, LPS and SPS
Water Parameters:
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10
Calcium 440
alk and mag - untested

Question 1 -
I don't normally use a turkey baster to clean off my rocks. I did some tank cleaning today and a TON of crap came off my rocks.
How often should I clean the rocks? Is it normal for a lot of junk to come off them?
Question 2 -
Is 12 hours of 10k and actinic too much?
Question 3 -
Despite my use of filter floss I am still seeing a lot of fine particles in my water. The water is clear but you can see lots of particles still in the water. Any ideas?
Get a powerhead in there. One of the most crucial things to successful aquarium is good water movement.

curry

Yep going to get more flow in there ASAP. I threw in an extra pengiun powerhead I had laying around for now until I order the MP or koralias.