couple questions about DIY reef food

biggedraws

im going to make my own food this weekend. I read a few recipes and most of them had a fish fillet in them like salmon or something all i found at the store was white sea bass will that be ok? i read a post about fish not to use because of the oil content in some of them but i cant find the thread anymore and dont remember what the fish were i also picked up a plastic jar of pacific oysters they didnt have any "fresh ones" the ingredients on the jar say pacific oysters, water, and thats it so im assuming it should be safe to use correct?

florida joe

Complaments of the web
Nori
This is dried seaweed, and herbivorous fish absolutely love it. It is used to wrap sushi, so it can usually be found in the Asian section of the supermarket. When you buy it, it is in thin sheets, just a bit thicker than a sheet of paper and is a dark green colour. Get the plain version, not flavoured. The best idea is to shred this first, before adding the other ingredients, when it is dry. And then remove it, blend the other things, and stir into the mixture when it is finished. Add one sheet.
Shrimp
Good stable food for all carnivorous organisms. A few larger pieces are a good idea for larger fish, large polyped corals and anemones to have. This is usually the largest component of the meat part of the food, adding about 10 shrimps.
Scallop
Another good stable food. The good thing about this is that it can be minced up really fine, into a paste. So can be a good suspension and fine food particle feeder to small polyped corals, fan worms etc. Add about 6 scallops.
Squid/Calamari
Most likely cheaper to use squid, but if you can only get calamari then that will have to do. Have to be careful, as this can be difficult for the blender to chop up, and may get wrapped around the blades. Add about 6 rings.
Crab
Another good meat to put in. I have not been able to find any decent crab meat at the market, only the 'seafood mix' stuff, which is really just a mix of cheaper, lower quality stuff.
Octopus
The small entire octopuses are quite handy. They blend up really nice, and because it includes the entire organism, there is a lot of different nutritional value in it. Add about 4 octopuses.
Mussel
Another good food variation. Add about 4 mussels.
Fry Food
This is the small bottled product that is used to start a culture to feed fry. It is a good food source for the fine suspension feeders, such as clams, sea squirts etc. Add one of the small bottles of this, about 10ml.
Yeast
Another good fine suspension feeder food. About 1 teaspoon per mixture.
Flake Food
This will ensure that they are getting all that they require. Add the flake at the end, by stirring in, it does not require blending. It will absorb all the moisture in the mix before being frozen and disperse into small pieces when it is thawed. Add about half a handful.
Bait Fish
Last time I was at the market, I spotted a small, white bait fish so I gave it a try. It seems like it was a good move, as the fish relish these food fragments in the mix. Add about a handful of this.
Vitamin Supplement
This is just to make sure that they are getting all that they require. It is likely this is not required, but I am just making sure. I use a bird multi-vitamin and it is very cheaper than anything directly for an aquarium. Add about a teaspoon.
Brine Shrimp
I plan to use this in the future. Just stir some in after the mixture has been blended. If it is frozen, then thaw out first. Can also use newly hatched brine.
Fish Eggs
I have heard of a few people using these in their mix, just don't use Russian Caviar. ;-) This makes sense though, as an egg has a lot of nutritional value and it is meant to feed a growing organism and tend to all its nutritional needs until it can feed itself.
Shrimp Eggs
Saw this mentioned around the traps also.
Mysis Shrimp
Fish absolutely relish this food source, so if you can get them they make a wonderful addition. Stir in after the mixture has been blended.
Chicken Egg Yolk
Another good type of egg to put in. Cook the egg yolk, then just add to the blender. Add towards the end as it does not have to be cut up, just stirred well in. Once again, the egg is to act as a source of nutrition for the growing chicken, so it has a lot of vitamins and minerals in it. Another type of food for the suspension and filter feeders again, as will quickly break up apon injection into the aquarium.
Zooplankton
If you have access to this, they are usually sold as a frozen food from the local aquarium store, then another great food to add. Thaw first, then stir in after the mixture has been blended. If you happen to have your own cultures of this type of stuff, then that can be added.
Bloodworm/Earthworm
Many people like to feed these type of things to their tank, personally I don't like feeding anything that is non-marine to my reef. But, if you feed this, or are comfortable with it then it can be quite easily added. Best idea might be to cut it up and stir into the mixture after it has been blended.
Spinach/Romaine Lettuce/Broccoli/Pea
Same as with the last ingredients, I don't particularly like to feed a terrestrial food such as this, but many swear by it. Might be a good idea to shred these up separately, then stir in at the end so that you have more control over the resulting size.

biggedraws

I already have all my ingredients i just wanna make sure the white sea bass and jarred oysters are safe to use.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Biggedraws
http:///forum/post/3174478
I already have all my ingredients i just wanna make sure the white sea bass and jarred oysters are safe to use.
the jarred oysters are cooked nix them. (no) you never know what minor contaminants they may contain from cooking (spices, oils, elevated trace metals etc..)
the sea bass is fine. (yes)
avoid salmon except maybe in very small amount (very oily) and never ever ever use aquacultered salmon as it may contain parasites that can only be killed through cooking, freezing wont do it.
avoid tuna (fatty oily)
generally any raw white fish meat is safe while dark, pink, brown ones are not. well not unsafe but fatty and oily and can cause water quality issues fast.

small triggers

yeah keep to any fish of the sea that is white, even smelt (in low quanitites) works well. the best option is to go to your fresh fish counter and get antyhing there...i try not to buy frozen unless its the whole item because you never know what they have touched to it cutting it up..
dont buy anything that isnt kept refridgerated or frozen, usually means its cooked or held in oil..
OH and dont forget to check out the bulk supplement aisle at your supermarket, i bought kelp powder (also use it in my organic dog treats i make) they have so many things you can use....

biggedraws

I cant believe "would you eat it" was even a response.... i eat pizza, does that mean i should throw it in a homemade fish food recipe? i dunno if my response to his first post that didnt answer my initial question or even come close to it hurt his feelings but what a stupid response.

reefkprz

LOL joe gets a little testy at times. Dont worry about it, he's a good guy. you should see him when he gets all wound up.

but FWIW I didnt really understand that response either. (I tell you I put some stuff in my tank thqat there is no way on gods green earth I would myself eat)