Couple questions.

cori

I'm an absolute beginner, and at this stage, I am trying to learn everything I can, before I make the leap to buying my aquarium. My copy of The Concientious Aquarist is en route to me, but I'm eager...so here are a couple questions I have..
1. I am planning to do live sand. Does that eliminate the use of an undergravel filter? Being a freshwater aquarist, I've always been told the undergravel is almost a must.
2. RO water..I'm thinking that I won't be able to buy a big expensive system right off the bat. Now, I know this is a stupid question...but is the RO water you can buy by the gallon at the grocery store suitable for tank use? I know tap water is a big no-no..(and I don't think I would use that anyway, since it's awful here)
3. What are your thoughts about picking up some of the required equipment from places like ----? I live in a small town area..and none of them are really equipped with saltwater tank supplies, and what is available has a big mark up in price.
Thanks for the help.

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by cori
I'm an absolute beginner, and at this stage, I am trying to learn everything I can, before I make the leap to buying my aquarium. My copy of The Concientious Aquarist is en route to me, but I'm eager...so here are a couple questions I have..
1. I am planning to do live sand. Does that eliminate the use of an undergravel filter? Being a freshwater aquarist, I've always been told the undergravel is almost a must.
2. RO water..I'm thinking that I won't be able to buy a big expensive system right off the bat. Now, I know this is a stupid question...but is the RO water you can buy by the gallon at the grocery store suitable for tank use? I know tap water is a big no-no..(and I don't think I would use that anyway, since it's awful here)
3. What are your thoughts about picking up some of the required equipment from places like ----? I live in a small town area..and none of them are really equipped with saltwater tank supplies, and what is available has a big mark up in price.
Thanks for the help.
1. Never use an UGF in a saltwater application
2. You can get RO/DI water from Walmart or even Miejers
3. Do some searches on your computer, you can most likely save a lot of money by purchases on line than at your LFS.
Thomas

bs21

as i'm sure youll read in the book undergravel filters require a lot of maintanence and most people will tell you to stay away from them. the alternatives are other types of mechanical filters that hang on the tank which can also be used for fresh water. there are also external filters like a sump or canister filter. those all require less maintanence and will do a better job than the undergravel. also consider a protein skimmer which will help remove waste from the water. there are alot of options when it comes to filters and differant substrates to use on the bottom of the tank which the book will explain......another book to consider is "the new marine aquarium"....it gives you alot of options on what to use and explains the purpose for each piece of equipment. it also has a step by step guide on setting up your tank.
hope this helps a little

J

jdragunas

i agree with thomas.
1. an undergravel filter is a big no no for saltwater. It's really impossible if you have sand, as the filter will become clogged every 10 minutes. Something that is good that can replace your desire for an undergravel filter is a protein skimmer. Does the same exact thing, only instead of pulling that crap into your substrate, it pulls it out of the system completely into a cup that gets emptied.
2. I get my RO water from Walmart. It's in their water section, has a green label and green cap, and is called "drinking water". It also has a calcium additive to replace calcium that the RO process normally removes!
3. I purchased most of my stuff from that great auction site, and it saved me a lot of money. Search a lot on the internet, you'll find great deals all over the place!!!
Well, you started in the right place!!! Glad you're researching first, rather than after-the-fact (i've seen a lot of that...) Welcome to the boards, and good luck!

T

thomas712

Kill the idea of a UGF.
This is my standard answer to the Undergravel filter:
As for undergravel filters, I've been through this, won't go through it again. Why?
1. Frequent water changes to try to get the ditrus and nitrates out.
2. If you put live rock on it you will build up more dead ditrus spots that will pump out more nitrates in you system. This just makes them simply non reef compatible. They were meant for a crushed coral bottom and are no good with sand.
3. You run the risk of Carbon dioxide poisoning that builds up underneath.
4. Although it can help with the bioload it is only low bio load friendly.
5. With what can seep out from underneath the algea blooms can be spectacular leading to what is called New Tank Syndrome even if you think your tank is seasoned, and if you do not vaccum well you will simply reintroduce the waste back into the water colum. This can reek havoc on your water chemistry and your PH.
6. Even though you use the best strongest powerheads on it, it will just pull the waste and ditrus down into the substrate traping it till it decays and fouls your water or waits to be removed by you and the vaccum tube. Much better to use sand and good water flow to keep the ditrus in suspension in the water to be removed by the protein skimmer or machanical filtraition.
7. No matter how you slice it the UGF is just a detrius trap. If anything deserves the name nitrate factory it is the UGF.
Just my OPINION.
Thomas