Covered with algae

wayneshine

Need suggestions; 125 reef that is being overtaken with green,clumpy, 1/2"to 1:+ length green hair? algae. Phosphate is below 1. Water temp 80-82. Been doing water changes always using ro/di/filtered water. SG 1.124. 2 cinnamon clowns, 1 coral beauty, 1 purple tang, 1 orange cardinal, 1 diamond goby, assorted blue and red leg crabs, 1 peppermint shrimp, different types of snails. Tank has been set up over 4 years. Changed lights bulbs .410 watts power compacts. Removed all coral and cleaned algae off with a brush and in three weeks it is back worse than before. Cut back on feeding to where fish act like they are starving. This is really driving me nuts as I have been doing salt for over 25 years now and never had anything like this. Any ideas will be looked into and appreciated.
Thanks

michaeltx

do a search for hair algae there are many many threads about it. its one of the WORST algaes to get in a reef tank.
Mike

wayneshine

Thank you, I checked on it today and got a few ideas, seems like I should check nitrates also. Thanks again Wayne

cgrant

I just went threw the same thing on my tank cause my anem decided to crawl into my modded mj1200 and it got shredd into the tank.
It took about a month before the hair started to die off.
Keep up with the water changes, run a phos ractor with media like phosban, beef up the clean up crew, mexican turbos work great. cut the lights in half.
Might look into a lawnmower blennie also...just dont give up and it will go away but like i mentioned it took about 4 weeks to get mine under control.

wayneshine

I will cut the lighting in half. I probably need to add the snails as I do not have near as many as recommended. Don't know if a lawnmower blenie would fight with my diamond goby? Thanks for the advice. I rechecked phospate and it is around 1.5 so I will add the phosban. Have a good weekend.
Wayne

am00re34

you didnt say but if your not using RO water i would start at least for now. you need to get those phosphates way down

aztec reef

I would do a 70% water change, then get some good testing kits like SALIFER,SEACHEM or LAMOTTE.
check :phospates & Nitrates.. How often are you doing water changes?

ninjamini

Here is something I wrote a while ago.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/255585/do-you-have-hair-algae
Originally Posted by ninjamini
If you have a hair algae problem then read my cure all. I just recently took a tank off someone's hands, a very experienced reefer too, who had a hair algae problem that they could not fix. But the fix is so easy when you understand it. This is the instructions for a established tank. If your tank is under 3 months old read below* first.
Hair algae wont grow if you don't feed it.
1. Use Ro/DI water ONLY. If your not doing this then you are making a fatal mistake.
2. Pick off the big clumps of hair. Pull the rocks out you can and pull pull pull. Dip them back in the water to get the algae to hang down. Turn off the flow for the rocks you cant remove while you pick it off. By picking off the big clumps you remove the nitrates and phosphates from the water.
3. Know why it grows. It consumes nitrates, phosphates and light. Export the nitrates and phosphates with water changes and some cheto. Rember if you test says that you have 0 Nitrates and 0 Phosphates that does not mean you don't have them. It just means that they are consumed. If you have algae growing then you have nitrates and phosphates. Yea there in there.
4. Cut back on feeding. Where do you thing those nitrates and phosphates come from. If you have any really piggy fish then you may want to move them to QT.
5. Turn down the photo period by shutting the lights off and only turn them on for 6 hours a day. Most corals can handle this for a month. Just think of it as the rainy season.
6. Get a emerald and some mexican snails. Yea the big ones. They will both eat the short stuff.
7. Time. Give it 3-4 weeks then start to turn the lights to 7, 8...more hours till your back to a normal amount of time.
Done. Now I have my nano cube filled with sand, rocks, zoos and fish because I was able to follow this plan and he was not. Which is weird since he has an awesome sps tank.
*If your tank is new that is less than 3 months old then the question is not how to get rid of them but understanding that this is only part of the natural cycle of a new tank. If this happened just as your ammonia and nitrites test at 0 then its going to grow. Its the same reason because there is alot of nitrate and phosphate in the water. This would be the time to do your first water change and then add your clean up crew. They will take care of the algae along with water changes.
Remember don.t feed your nuisance algae and it wont grow.
Good Luck.

reefreak29

ooh ooh , i got one to
algea control in the reef tank by:reefreak29

[hr]
one of the most annoying problems in the home reef tank is endesirable algea.three major problem algeas that ive incuontered in my reef are green hair algea,brown diotoms and red slime algea aka cyono bacteria.
BROWN DIATOM ALGEA: usually accurs in newer reef tanks. mostly because of the introduction of live rock, wich introduces silicates and nutrients to your tank.
a brown film soon coats your sand bed.The control of diotoms is fairly easy.u first need a benificial cleen up crew trochus and astraea snails eagerly consume the brown diotoms. The second thing u want to do is perform regular water changes to remove access nutrients.
CYONO BACTERIA: red slime algea has to be one of the most frustrating for new reefers.It usually breaks out on the surface of the sand substrate.2 ways that i know to remove the cyono is to firstincrease your water flow u want to remove any stagnent areas by the substate. Two remove excess nutrient, I prefer to do a 10 percent weekly water change with ro di water or di water. (do not use tap water) while doing a water change syphon out as much red algea as possible,also dont be afraid to cut your light back and your feeding, I leeve my light on for 10 hrs a day in my 90 gal tank its ok to cut back to 5 hrs for a couple of weeks.
GREEN HAIR ALGEA: who hasnt experienced this.this algea loves bright light and astablished reef tanks. Green hair algea consumes excess nutrients faster then any other algea.Below are measures and steps of riding this FOREVER
1.-make sure u have a protien skimmer and its suitible for your size tank, for proper working conditions make sure u clean out skimmer cup every other day to have 100 percent working capability also make sure your pump stays clean for maximum flow
2. decrease lighting just like with the cyono cut your light in half
3. perform regular water changes again i like 10 percent weekly, when doing a water change suck out as much algea as possible, use only di water or rodi.
never use tap , tap water has high nitrates, phosphates and nitrites.
4.phisicly remove the algea by riping it of the rock,keep a cup of di water next to u to rinse your fingers each time u put your hands back in the tank to insure all spores are off and your not reintroducing the algea to your water,after about 20 hrs of manually removing the algea your inverts aka cleanup crew should keep it under control.
in colclusion please do regular water changes, feed small amounts every other day, only use rodi or di water and dont keep your lights on for more then 10 hrs a day. everyone experiences algea blooms in there tank i hope this help in managing the problem algeas

L

lbaskball

First control phosphate levels.
Check your lighting (regular maintaince change of light bulbs)
Cut down on the lighting
I highly suggest gettin a lot of snails, turbo's.
Also, if you buy a sea haire, they will easily take out that hair algae in no time.
Check your water quality, use RO water.