cow fish???

swifty

can anyone tell me what the official name of a cow fish is, i want to purchase one today and want to make sure the price at the LFS is ok. they want about $40. he is about 3-4" long.

i paid $40.00 for my yellow cow fish as well. i think cow fish are a great addition to a tank because they are very different from anyother fish. mine comes to the surface and eat marine cuisine out of my hand. he has also nibbled on my hand before.

musipilot

A cowfish is a super addition, we love ours, but thats a little high in price! The scientific name is below..along with a brief blurb about them. They are VERY ich prone, so be careful to quarantine him properly before adding him to your tank.
The Cowfish Longhorn (Lactoria cornuta) inhabit the reefs of the Indo-Pacific, usually in the less turbid waters. The body is yellow and covered with white dots, and is occasionally referred to as the Yellow Boxfish; however, the Longhorn is not to be confused with Ostracion cubicus, commonly called the Yellow or Polka Dot Boxfish. In the wild, it is not uncommon to see a 20" specimen, while in the aquarium the Cowfish Longhorn tends to be dramatically smaller - 16" or less.
No one has mentioned it yet...are you aware of the possiblity of toxification with this species?

kyred1

That's a bit far from me as I live in Michigan. The two I did find here only cost me 20 dollars each. Just wish I could find more. Definitely the most entertaining thing in my tank.

swifty

I talked my LFS down to $36 and he has been doing great so far.
he wont eat unless i hand feed him wich is cool, until i am late for work in the morning and i have to sit there and hand feed my fish. But i think he is worth it.