Cpr Bak-pak 2 Skimmer

elchoryla

HI, i just bought a used bak-pak skimmer but when powered on it makes ALOT of vibrating noise, the skimmer came with the rio 800 powerhead, do u guys think i can solve this problem with replaicing the powerhead?? ive heard these powerheads arent very good, let me know what u guys think, thanks.

elchoryla

whats venturi?? should it be open all the way?? how?? im a newbie here, sorry. im using a rio 800 if that helps

devilboy

do you have alittle flexible tubing with a plastic screw on it? if you close it, it will slow the air flow, if you open it that will increas the water flow. try playing with that and see what happens.

viper_930

I also have a CPR bakpak with a rio pump. If your vibrating noise is coming from the powerhead, then I have the same problem. You can replace your pump for a maxijet 900 or 1200, I've heard they are much quieter and even have higher flow rates.

a couple things here. For one, the bak pak is not designed to be used with a rio 800. That is probably one of the sources of the noise. On another note, these skimmers are loud in general.
I am willing to bet that you do not have the correct pump. Despite a poor reputation of breaking down, Rio pumps work just fine IMO. I have a bak pak that has run 24/7 for close to three years now and has never once given me trouble. Granted that I take care of it properly by cleaning it at a minimum of once a month. I am willing to bet that the majority of Rio pump failures are due to improper use and poor maintenance.

sula

007 - what's your monthly cleaning routine? Do you take the skimmer completely off the tank and rinse everything out or what?

I take the skimmer completely off the tank and clean EVERYTHING. I take the pump completely apart and clean each part. If needed, I will soak them in vinegar to remove calcium buildup. On a weekly basis, I boil some RO water in a coffe mug and stick the intake end of the air hose (the end with the silencer) into the bottom of the mug and let it suck in the boiling water to remove the salt build up in the air line to keep it working at maximum.
These skimmers aren't great, thats for sure, so its important to keep them working at an optimum level.