CPR BakPak 2R Acessories??????

luckyzeee

I just purchased a CPR Bak Pak 2R, I was wondering if I should order any of the acessories to maximize the performance of it?
PLease let me know thanks...
Paul

nm reef

I've run a CPR BacPac2r for over 2 years now...it currently skims my 58 gal fish only system. The only add on I wish I had was the surface skimmer attachment...and I intend to order one in the near future. There is always a film that developes on the water surface and the attachment allows the skimmer to remove it. I might add that I've been extremely pleased with the performance of the skimmer and with the customer service provided by CPR....but I'd hesitate to use the CPR BacPac2r on a system over 60 gal...just not enough of a skimmer for larger systems.

Yes, I second NM Reef. I have the skimmer attachment, and it helps a lot with skimming the nasty film at the top of the water.
I also would get the bubble trap. I don't have one but I sometimes wish i had one. you can find a combo package (surface skimmer + bubble trap) at some web stores.

buzz

I have read that you can add a more powerful pump than the RIO 600 it comes with, and that will increase it's efficiency, and rate it for a larger tank. Anyone tried this?
I actually have a RIO 800 that has a venturi set up. I was thinking about trying it instead of the 600, but as I have a 60g, I don't need more of a pump.
I believe the bubble trap only works on the bakpak 2, and not the 2R. The surface skimmer is something I want to get as well.

justinx

I use one with the combo box (preskimmer and bubble trap in one) on a 2R. works fine with me. I have also added an airstone to mine. Talk about an improvement!!!

kennerd

Hey, guys:
Buzz: There is a new add-on bubble trap that, in essence, makes the BP2 into a BP2RR and it goes into the last section of the BP skimmer. Here is the pic from the CPR website.

I have a combo surface skimmer/bubble eliminator that I only used for 3 weeks. If someone wants it, I'll take $20 + shipping for it, if anyone is interested, they run around $40 new:

buzz

The combo is a different story. If it is all contained in that box, that looks good. The first picture is the bubble trap I meant. Try and put that in a 2R. There is no place for it to go. It is designed to fit in the section on the 2 used for biobale. You are correct that it helps the 2 act as the 2R, but is not intended to be used IN the 2R.

scarybo

I modified a bak pak with a luft pump, air line, and wooden airstone. Ran the airline through the second chamber into the first chamber. Placed the airstone on the air line in the first chamber. This increased the performance on my BPak. The luft pump allows you to regulate airflow. I run it on a 40g, but like the extra skim potential since I dont use any other filtration besides DSB and LR. I used the bubble trap while breaking in the tank. I dont need it any longer so I removed it to avoid the hassle of cleaning the foam weekly. I still use the preskimmer.

luckyzeee

Does anyone know where the preskimmer goes in relationn to the actual bak pak unit. I am completely lost, can somoone help me....thanks

kennerd

Looking at the picture of the combo box above:
Notice that there is a divider down the inside middle of the box. The right side is sealed on the bottom, and open on the top. This is the side that the powerhead inside of your tank goes. The left side is opn on top & bottom. This is where the outlet pip goes, with the intention of the water exiting the bottom, while any micro-bubbles rise to the top.