CPR BakPak 2R - Bubble Nuisance

buzz

OK, I took everyone's advice, and got a BakPak 2R yesterday. I turned it on, and there were some serious bubbles pouring out of it...they gradually subsided, but never left entirely. This morning, there are more again...
So...for those that know...does this go away by itself? Is this just a matter of adjusting the oxygen flow? Or, is this something I should just get used to to an extent?
Any advice is appreciated!

nicenakago

I got the BakPak 2 (not the 2R)
I want to know what is the best attachment to put on this thing to get rid of bubbles?
I know that there are a few accessories you can get for it. Will any of these work on Buzz's 2R as well?

pstanley

I bought the cpr bubble trap which fits externally over the outlet tube inside the aquarium. They also sell an internal one that goes inside the skimmer in place of the bio media.

buzz

The internal trap only works for the bakpak 2. It isn't compatible with the 2R which is what I have. The external may be something to look into though...

buzz

wait...the bubble trap that fits over the tube...that is a little sponge with a hole in the middle? If so, that came with mine, and I have it on. Still isn't doing much for it.

buzz

Aww...c'mon everyone...someone's got to have some insight to offer on the questions I asked...please?

hondo

Learn to live with the bubbles as it will make them on and off for as long as you have this skimmer. Don't beleive me go to their site www.cprusa.com and check out their message board as almost all the threads are regarding bubbles. Like all CPR equipment they will sell you attachments to make it work better and attachments for the attachments ect. Would be nice if one product they sold came ready to work right out of the box without the need for some other attachement or upgrade or something to make it work right. Sorry to flame on them but it is frustrating as I have this same skimmer and it skims just fine for a small tank but you gotta learn to love bubbles.

iechy

Just wait it out. They made me really mad for about two-three weeks and then they went away and haven't come back since. It seems there is a break in period or something. My tank was FULL of bubbles until one day when they just stopped and haven't started again. This was about two months ago now. Hope it works out for you too.

nicenakago

I just got some more advice from another trusted source that says to leave my skimmer alone for at least 3 days, and see if the bubbles go away... I'll let everyone know my results.
:)

saltyrich

Try adjusting the air flow. It does make a difference. The external bubble trap will eliminate all of your bubbles. As your skimmer breaks in, it will begin to produce less bubbles over time. If you want them gone now, 1st adjust the air intake, thenget the trap. Trust me.

reef fool

Had the same problem w/ mine. Tried it with and without the bubble trap and with and without the extra piece of foam that comes with the 2R. Works best w/ the bubble trap and the foam. the extra bubbles went away in 2 days for me. Has something to do with surface tension!?? Don't worry, it'll go away. Get the bubble trap though. GOOD LUCK

buzz

Does the bubble trap work with the 2R? CPR's site says it isn't compatible...I thought it only worked with the 2...

saltyrich

I'd check again. I've got a 2R and the bubble trap on mine. It is the external one that fits over the return outlet.

reef fool

Yes, There is a clear or a black external box for the 2R. I could not get mine to be micro-bubble free withou it!

M

macyjo

I agree with a previous post--wait it out --mine eventually went away. Maybe turn the air down a bit till the sponge gets some debris on it and balances itself out.

iechy

No I don't us ethe bubble trap on mine.
Nice, that advice you got is right just let it run and it will strighten out on its own. I know you hate seeing those bubble sin there like I did but they'll be gone soon.

nicenakago

Thanks Iechy. Do you shut your skimmer off ever? Cause if the bubbles go away eventually... I would be afraid to shut the skimmer off and restart it once they did....

iechy

Yeah I shut it off alot when I feed the corals. I usually don't shut it completely off though I just close the air valve so that it make no bubbles. It comes back on and makes bubbles in the tank for a few minutes and then back to normal. It also makes bubbles sometimes when I add chemicals but that usually only lasts for a few hours or so. HTH