cpr bakpak

timo

Which powerhead would one recommend for the cpr bakpak2 RR skimmer? I've run a mj900 for a few months but started to think that may reduce contact time.
?
Thanks
TimO

marvida

I've heard of some switching to a maxijet 1200. mine is still running on the rio that came with it.

justinx

I think that the alternative pump that comes recommended is the MJ 1200, but I still use the RIO that came with it . . . . one year later.
Go to CPR's web page, they have a BB there that you can get answers directly from some of their engineers.
HTH
Justin

justinx

Well . . .yes and no. You are incresing the flow, but remember that when you add an airline to a pump, it drastically reduces the output of a pump. So keep that in mind. Plus, a more efficient venturi will produce more bubbles than the RIO. So while you may have less contact time, there are more bubbles. IMO, it is a worthwhile trade off. Because the bak pak isnt that tall to begin with, I dont think that increasing the flow from a rio to an mj would really make that big of a difference on contact time. Now if you were talking about one of those huge floor models that are four feet tall, that would be a different story.
HTH
Justin
P.S. let me know how it works out. I have considered changing to a MJ as well, but I like me preskimmer a lot so, it would have to be a significant improvement.

timo

I never used the rio it came with. Used a mj600 for a few months, then switched to a 900. It removed about the same amount of gunk... I'll try the 1200 and see where that takes me...