CPR Continuous Siphon Overflow

johnny.d.s

I am thinking about getting a CPR Overflow 1400gph or 1600gph are they any good?
My tank has a 1 1/4 rim will it fit?

johnny.d.s

Originally posted by golfish
I have never read one single good thing about them........if you buy one expect a wet floor.

I don't see a problem if you have a Venturi powerhead plugged into air

[hr]
on top of it like a Maxi-Jet 1200 Powerhead. I think it would be more reliable then the others and I already have a Maxi-Jet 1200.

broomer5

I prefer LifeReef U tube overflows.
I really don't like having to rely on a powerhead to insure my main tank overflow is going to work. Scary thought considering how many powerheads fail to fire up upon loss/gain of electric power.
It's one of those .... if this one thing happens AND this other thing happens THEN this bad thing won't happen, scenerios.
Bad meaning the overflow fails and you start overflowing your tank while you're away.
Some folks run the CPR's without the powerhead and report okay operation.
Much of how well any overflow works is based upon the return pump flowrate, size of the tank's surface area and how it's plumbed to the sump.
I've ran U tube overflows for years and have never .. repeat .. never had one fail, or lose siphon. But I insure they have enough, but not too much flowrate running through them.
Up to you though - maybe some CPR fans will comment.

richard rendos

I have used them in the past before I started drilling my tanks. I was very happy with mine. Be sure to attach a power head to the hole in the siphon part, though. This sucks air out and prevents a wet floor. They are over all very quiet and flow a lot of water.

sterling

I have one on my tank, it works fine. I have a pump hooked up to keep up the suction. Sometimes I think about rigging up a u-tube of some sort, just in case.
My tank has a 1 1/4 lip also, it will fit fine.

ironreef

Yup I had one fail. Lucky I was in the room. Maxijet powerhead decided to quit= loose siphen a little water loss. If you need to use one I would make your sump so you would only loose a gallon or so= isolate with baffels. But i would rather buy a lifereef that won't lose siphen and doesn't need a powerhead. I probally would have lost that much water it would have went into my outlets and gfi would have shut the pump off..maybe. But now that wouldn't work cuz all my outlets are above my tank. Floods,fire,leaks... I'm finally figuring this hobby out

bigbonedee

My tank is a 75 and I got the one rated for a 90. I should have gone for the bigger one. I am running about 800 gal/per hour from my sump up to the tank. When my power head fails the water level on my CPR inches up but as long as the tube connected from CPR to the power head is under water on the pump side, there is not a problem. You will have time to correct the problem.
Yes 1 1/4 is good.

ironreef

Originally posted by BigBoneDee
When my power head fails the water level on my CPR inches up but as long as the tube connected from CPR to the power head is under water on the pump side, there is not a problem. You will have time to correct the problem.
Yes 1 1/4 is good.

So what happens when your not home? I wouldn't get anything that has known potential to fail so often JMO/JME

frankl15207

Originally posted by BigBoneDee
My tank is a 75 and I got the one rated for a 90. I should have gone for the bigger one. I am running about 800 gal/per hour from my sump up to the tank. When my power head fails the water level on my CPR inches up but as long as the tube connected from CPR to the power head is under water on the pump side, there is not a problem. You will have time to correct the problem.
Yes 1 1/4 is good.

Same setup and overflow. Mine is connected to the venturi on the Maxijet connected to the Aqua C skimmer in my sump. I have tested failure at both ends (my furnace isn't far from the floor under my tank). The water flow ceases before the sump fills and the venturi starts the syphon and removes the air from the overflow with no problem.
[Just a note that CPR stresses that the venturi should be connected to a powerhead in the sump].

ironreef

Originally posted by frankl15207
[Just a note that CPR stresses that the venturi should be connected to a powerhead in the sump].

Thats the point if you have a power failure. Say the power comes back on and the powerhead doesn't restart? It happens. I would just get an overflow that doesn't need a powerhead so start overflowing. Seems to make more sence to me??