Crab ID PLEASE!

spongebob1

Can anyone ID this crab?
If so, how aggressive is it? Reef safe? Smaller fish safe (i.e. clownfish)? Aggressive towards other inverts?
Thanks!

R

royalshrimp

holy crap thats a scary crab!!!!!:eek: :scared: i cringed when i saw that thing. id say its not reef safe cause of the claws... they are pretty sharp, which might id it as a preditor.

arjayl

What are you going to do with it. Id like to put him in the Fuge with the guy I just caught and let the war begin.
:D

clown-lover

just wondering...what is the color of those kinds of crabs? i have a pink crab that looks like that and it's claws are darker pink/red...it has little hair like things on it's back too....just wondering if it's the same thing?

chinnyr

I recently have decided to remove ALL my hitchiker crabs.I had two,that I know of,that I am getting out.I caught one and have one left.I had an sps crab that would visit the two sps each night.He would travel from one to the other.Well,one of the hitchiker crabs moved up to the spot and ambushed the sps crab and ate him!I had no problems with the hitchikers until this.I wish I had taken them out when I had the chance in the past.All crabs are oportunists and will jump at a meal anytime.So,I will ban them to the sump to duke it out with each other from now on.

hardasaroc

In florida my uncle does it for a liveing and on a good day he brings in 250-300 lbs a day of claws.. and amn are they good. have you ever had one?

texag04

Yeah a pretty big fine for having one, your fish, corals, other inverts, etc.
I saw three at my local pet store and asked what they were, and they said you "really" dont want these.