Crab ID please

wax32

It's a generic carnivorous crab, ditch him. If anyone you know has large invert eating wrasses, it would make a nice snack.

blueangelc

Originally Posted by wax32
It's a generic carnivorous crab, ditch him. If anyone you know has large invert eating wrasses, it would make a nice snack.

Thanks Wax!

T

tizzo

I don't think he's dangerous. His claws are rounded and he looks like my coraline scratching crab that I have...As soon as I can post a pic...

blueangelc

Originally Posted by Tizzo
I don't think he's dangerous. His claws are rounded and he looks like my coraline scratching crab that I have...As soon as I can post a pic...

Really? Could you post a pic of yours! I'd like to keep him if he is safe but his claws look menacing though...

T

tizzo

Oh my, I apologize for abandoning this thread. Anyway if you still have him... I would feed mine meaty foods like silversides and he would eat it, but at night I would watch him eat coralline all night long. He was very very shy and hard to catch sight of, but when I did, that's what he was doing...

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by BlueAngelC
his claws look menacing though...
His claws appear rounded at the tip instead of sharp. They look like little scoops on the end. The sharp ones, now THOSE look mean!! :scared:

blueangelc

Originally Posted by Tizzo
His claws appear rounded at the tip instead of sharp. They look like little scoops on the end. The sharp ones, now THOSE look mean!! :scared:
Cool, Thanks.... I will keep for now as he has not done anything bad so far.

angelsrock

Originally Posted by BlueAngelC
Could someone help me ID this crab please? :notsure: I 've just found out that I have this hitchhiker!
Thanks!
i've got 4 or 5 of these crabs in my tank. they aren't dangerous, just good scavengers. they like to hide a lot except when i feed. i'll actually feed them little pieces of krill just for fun.

blueangelc

Originally Posted by angelsrock
i've got 4 or 5 of these crabs in my tank. they aren't dangerous, just good scavengers. they like to hide a lot except when i feed. i'll actually feed them little pieces of krill just for fun.

Thanks! I feel much better now keeping him. :happyfish

angelsrock

Originally Posted by DEA Bad Lt
It looks exactly like an emerald crab I bought from the LFS. Emeralds are harmless unless you have algae. lol
it's not an emerald crab, but they are harmless