Crab ID

reefnut

I know there are hundreds of different crabs but I just found this hitchiker in the 55g. Any ideas?

matti070

it looks dead, maybe a...um.......huh.....what the heck is that, i would say a strawberry too.:notsure:

hypertek99

Hawaiian Strawberry Crab. It's safe in a reef. I have one and it hides all the time. I can see it at nite. It eats algae off rocks.

reefnut

Thanks for the info!! swf.com also says they are rare in aquariums which is kinda cool. I'm going to try to pull him out tomarrow to make sure it is infact a Strawberry but it sound like that's what it is :jumping: .

new_noob

chop up some raw frozen table shrimp and put it infront of his hole, lure him out and grab him, that what i do with the crabs that hitchhike on my rock

hypertek99

Sometimes they have hair algae grow on their shells. Most i seen at stores are covered with algae. If that helps. They should be pinkish/red with black claws.

K

kpatrick

its a strawberry crab for sure. I have 3 of them in my reef tank and they do just fine and dont damage anything. For the first month or so they only came out at night but now they tend to come out a lot more during the day time especially at feeding time. They are a very colorful addition to any tank!!!