crabs eating snails

starfish79

I have red scarlet crabs, and blue legged crabs. I also have a couple different types of snails, I noticed tonight that my crabs are trying to and are eating some of my snails. What can I do to prevent this. Please Help

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by starfish79
I have red scarlet crabs, and blue legged crabs. I also have a couple different types of snails, I noticed tonight that my crabs are trying to and are eating some of my snails. What can I do to prevent this. Please Help
You cant do ANYTHING about it, its almost instinct for them, but i have read that its much more the blue leg than the redleg.

jdragon

yeah, unfortunately there is really nothing you can do about it. If you put in a bunch of extra empty different sized shells, you might be able to help, but not solve the problem. Most of the time they're just trying to take over a larger shell because they've outgrown their current one. However, sometimes they just do it for no reason at all. The best way to avoid this is to not combine the two... bummer, huh?

jdragon

emerald crabs wouldn't do that. They have no reason to. It's definately the hermit crabs, without a doubt. Especially since you've found them in the snail shells.