Crack in sump help!

todd_k

I was repositioning the tank tonight after I got all of the pluming finished, and noticed a couple of small cracks leading out from the bulkhead in the sump. It is in the third compartment where the water leads out to the pump.
The first crack goes straight up for about 4 inches and you cannot feel it on the outside or inside, the other crack you can feel with your fingernail, it leads out from the bulkhead diagonally down about 2.5 inches.
I siliconed the heck out of the entire area and also along the outside of the tank. The third chamber is 6"x18"13" which is just over 6 gallons. I haven't tested it yet, but just wanted an opinion on the problem. Am I asking for trouble by using or trying to use the sump?
Thanks,
Todd

stdreb27

Originally Posted by Todd_K
http:///forum/post/2725913
I was repositioning the tank tonight after I got all of the pluming finished, and noticed a couple of small cracks leading out from the bulkhead in the sump. It is in the third compartment where the water leads out to the pump.
The first crack goes straight up for about 4 inches and you cannot feel it on the outside or inside, the other crack you can feel with your fingernail, it leads out from the bulkhead diagonally down about 2.5 inches.
I siliconed the heck out of the entire area and also along the outside of the tank. The third chamber is 6"x18"13" which is just over 6 gallons. I haven't tested it yet, but just wanted an opinion on the problem. Am I asking for trouble by using or trying to use the sump?
Thanks,
Todd
Depends what will get damaged by a leak. Since it is glass, why not just silicone another piece of glass onto crack as to reinforce and patch the crack. I've done that a couple of times. And have had no problems.

todd_k

Thanks for the reply, The original crack that was only internal, now cracked all the way to the top and is now cracked all the way through. I really wish I could salvage this but even if I did I think I would have a hard time sleeping at night. It seems like water always finds a way.
Is running another piece of glass over the crack going to do more then just running silicone down both sides of the crack?
Or should I just replace the entire back piece with a new one? Since there is only 6 gallons in that chamber there isn't going to be that much force, but also the external pump is on that bulkhead and I would imagine the pump will put out vibrations and might crack the glass more?
I'm really stuck on what to do.

todd_k

No need to worry about the crack anymore, I had a buddy of mine help me carry it out to the garage because I was going to test for leaks, and as he goes to put his end down he drops it about 3 inches off the ground and the bottom cracks, so I guess that answered my question and I am going to replace the entire sump.
It's just unbelievable that someone would just think they can drop a glass tank and not carefully place it on the ground. Ok my rant is over.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by Todd_K
http:///forum/post/2726104
No need to worry about the crack anymore, I had a buddy of mine help me carry it out to the garage because I was going to test for leaks, and as he goes to put his end down he drops it about 3 inches off the ground and the bottom cracks, so I guess that answered my question and I am going to replace the entire sump.
It's just unbelievable that someone would just think they can drop a glass tank and not carefully place it on the ground. Ok my rant is over.
I had a friend pick up a sump from the bulkhead and rip the bulkhead out once... It is what happens some times.