Cracked Tank

javatech

I was drilling my new 75 gal tank and was on the 4th hole and my macaw let out a loud screech and i cracked the tank on the end
now all the other holes are ok and i have a 10X20" sheet of 1/4" glass i could patch it with from the inside , it would go from the top to the bottom and over lap the crack by 5" on each side withe one side all the way in the corner
it's a all glass tank with black plastic rim, i tryed to remove it but they put them on good
id like to replace the glass but i can't seem to be able to get the trim off
any help would be great
jim

phixer

Will you be using a flat bottomed stand? the patch should be of the same thickness or thicker than the original material, this is to support the weight of the sand, rock etc... if the glass flexes it will break and you will have an instant leak. Common sense here but the bottom of a glass aquarium is also designed to support weight. So if you patched the cracked area you might want to ensure that your stand surface is nice and flat and will be supporting all of the weight and not the bottom of the tank the way some hollow bottomed iron stands do. If you place the tank on a surface that is not completely flat, a leak can start because it will stress the silicone seams.
I think you would be better off if you could completely cut the broken section away and replace it with a new peice. If you cant get the plastic rim off in one peice then carefully cut it into 3" sections with a dremel tool and cut off wheel and then remove it in peices. Just cut into the plastic enough for it to break off cleanly, dont gouge the glass. Cut the silicone seam along the bottom perimeter and remove the glass. Replace the bottom glass and order a new rim from one of the glass tank manufacturers, if you cant find one of the correct size, make one from plastic or build one from hardwood, if you have to go this route make sure you miter the corners. They look much more professional. One neat thing about glass is that it flexes very little so a new frame can be glued directly onto the glass with silicone without fear of delamination.

X

xoxox

If it were me (and after an hour of pure swearing :mad: ) I would most likely come to the realization that I would need a new tank. You could try and repear the whole pane but this in my opinion would be the only solution. Trying to 'cover' the crack is tempting fate. You might be able to do it and be o.K. but I would be paranoid about that one big blowout you never want to happen.

indymatt

Ah man, that really sucks! Did you flinch when your macaw screeched and that caused the glass to break? I also think you should just get a new tank, a new tank is a lot easier to stomach than water all over the floor, dead fish, and dying live rock and sand. Sorry to hear about that.

chipmaker

The trim piece may be a realbear, but it is still possible to remove it. Use a sharpened putty knfe or parinig knife.......or push copme to shove and it will not hurt tanks integrity, cut through the plastic trim at the back side about 8 to 10 inches in from the corner. Once cut through work a fine piece of mon fishing line or fine wire in and arond the top edge of glass and use it to pull / cut the sealant that retains the top trim in place. Go all around the tanks top edge to remove trim. The work wire / line/blade down the side panel and bottom, and work out cracked panel. Clean up area well and install new panel. While panel is setting up a bit clean up top trim and apply sealant to it, and install on tank.....Certainly an hour or two is cheaper than buying a new tank. I have fixed heaps of tanks I get for free and most have been much worse thanwhat yur trying to do...Do not apply a patch as its gonna leak just when you do not expect it......

moby

You guys have MUCH bigger coconuts than I have.

I would be sleepless at night worrying that I'd wake up to a tsunami in the living room!
I think the safe thing would be bite the bullet and get a new tank or maybe you could find one cheap in the paper, I see them here all the time.
Sorry to hear about your cracked tank, living with birds is always an adventure! I've got a grey cheek conure and a B/G macaw, noisy critters but I LOV'EM. What sort of macaw is yours?
Moby

javatech

I think i'v found a way to fix it and only lose 4 gal space being the crack is in the far corner im going to try to just box of the corner so it will be a five sided tank
the glass is not the problem i can get what ever i want for free , i wook in a AFG glass plant i just want to see if i can make it work this way for others that cant get free glass
wish me luck
05-19-2006 02:20 AM

chipmaker

javatech
Ya know, I just seen a tank that was cracked in the upper right corner inthe LFS here yesterday, now that yuy mention it, and all they did was place a piece of glass catty corner across the cracked portion and made what is basically a 5 sided tank. It had caught my eye as the tank had seahorses in it, and I noticed the back/side wall area wa on an angle, and figured the owner added as sump in the corner and drilled the bottom but the triangular space was bone dry, and there wa a cracked missing piece from a hole that was drilled on the backside.....
I think its a great idea and cheapo and easy to fix and odds are in most cases would not take up much of any space inside or create any problems.

javatech1

Ok i'v started to play with it here's what i have so far all i have to do is paint it black inside the corner and i was even thinking of putting in some of the spray foam in there

javatech1

Originally Posted by psusocr1
wow if ic ould get glass for free iw ould be buildig tanks like CRAZY!!! real big ones too!!
Right now i have no time and no room
i do have 10 lites of low-iron 36"X 96" 1/2" but no time or room to use them