Crafty Types - what are you making for gifts?

ophiura

OK, I need some handmade gift ideas. I'm having some trouble this year.
I have done some quilting - last year I made some coasters for coworkers. I don't want to fall into the "bigger is better' and make pot holders

I've made one thing with PMC3 (precious metal clay). I tried something last night but was over ambitious. May make some little charm for people for a necklace or something.
I'm thinking about something with fimo clay - in particular some of the transfers like with the sculptey liquid stuff...anyone tried this? It looks cool.
Making some clothespin angels for the tree at work...
So share your craft ideas please!!! What are you making?

alix2.0

im making incense burners for my close friends... but i have a sandblaster. if i didnt, it would be REALLY difficult. lol.
the charms would be cute! my mom was thinking about trying that stuff sometime.

ophiura

Do you have a picture? I admit, I don't have a sandblaster, so that may be out

I WISH I had experience and supplies for some stained glass. Maybe next year, Santa!?!?!?

alix2.0

here are some pics of slates my mom's blasted. she hand cuts everything with an x-acto knife, but there is equipment that can do it automatically.

ive never done it before really, so this is kinda just a tester. stained glass would be very cool. have you ever tried slumping or working with glass? my neighbor makes pins and stuff, and you can make really cool bowls. all you need is glass and a maybe mold, not sure if you need a kiln because you might be able to do it in an oven. its kinda like stained glass.

ophiura

Those are beautiful!! WOW!
I am intrigued by the fused and blown glass too...actually anything working with glass seems appealing to me. But I have not tried it. I've looked at some equipment but it is a bit out of budget right now.

stained glass is my other expensive hobby. it took some practice before i got good at it so you probably wouldnt have time since Christmas is so close but you could make some snowflake-like shapes with those flat colored glass marbles. your biggest expense would be a soldering iron. probably about 30 bucks

sepulatian

My friend's mom makes wind chimes. They are beautiful. She takes a cup or plate, drills it, adds beads and stained glass, that she cuts herself, and puts it together. People order custom ones from her out of say an antique plate that their grandmother left them or just a nice glass that they have. Here are a few pictures.

S

smartorl

Neat ideas! I would be so afraid of breaking what I was trying to drill!
I picked up one of those sets of round knitting looms as a project to destress me from my job and using the middle sized loom I have made scarves for friends. They have some really cool yarns out there too btw. It takes only a few hours once you get the hang of it, the loom is much, much easier than conventional knitting. Using the smaller loom, I made little snow hats for a friends baby and a sweater for my daschund and my mom's chi.
I am now a knitting geek, who'd a thought.........

ophiura

Hey and those are pretty straight forward to do as well!
Nothing wrong with being a knitting geek, BTW. I recently spent several hours trying to find the right thread for a quilt. :p

cowfishrule

my home-made present for the new mods is that i am going to make a real mess of the aquarium. it will be joyous for both of them.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by COWFISHRULE
http:///forum/post/2869528
my home-made present for the new mods is that i am going to make a real mess of the aquarium. it will be joyous for both of them.
Now CFR, we know that you love us. There is no need show it

nitschke65

Originally Posted by SigmaChris
http:///forum/post/2869398
I have always liked the idea of wine bottles being used for incense holders. Some cool paints to the bottle make them look pretty and not just an old wine bottle.

I haved always enjoyed getting brand new, unaltered (i.e. full) wine bottles.