Crappiest Reef Contest!!!!!!!!!!

brandan

So here is mine. I'd say it's pretty crappy and I will allow anyone to tell me it's crappy, lol. . . It is looking pretty bare right now, its got some Zoos and a Candy Cane coral. It's about 4 weeks post-cycled. I have Compact Fluorescents, 4x96watt, 384watts total, over my 55gallon. Let me know what you think about my lighting. I know they are Halides, but I would say thats A LOT of light over a 55gal. . . Regardless, let me know what you think about the lighting issue.

ifirefight

Here is mine.... i have not even finished the lower section of the stand yet. If my wife were judging I would win for sure.....she says "when are you going to finish the stand...it looks like s@it..2 different colors and all!!"
Of course she knows its not stained and cleared yet,,Im really beginning to think shes bustin my chops.

earlybird

Originally Posted by ifirefight
Here is mine.... i have not even finished the lower section of the stand yet. If my wife were judging I would win for sure.....she says "when are you going to finish the stand...it looks like s@it..2 different colors and all!!"
Of course she knows its not stained and cleared yet,,Im really beginning to think shes bustin my chops.

What stand? Swear I didn't even see it and I looked at your picture for a few minutes. Prepare for a punch but tell your wife you are the kind of guy that doesn't look at the mantle when you're poking the fire.

V

vicegrip

Originally Posted by vicegrip
Here is mine. I could really use the sps frags!

What's the deal with my crappy tank?
Here's the deal, my 35g hex has been up and running a year this week.
This past winter we decided to get a bigger tank. In February everything but what you see was moved to the new tank. The plan was to trade or sell or whatever to shut down the smaller reef . Well somewhere along the way my wife and daughter decided that would be their tank. My wife has yet to get around to aquascaping and I do the water changes and add b-ionic and test.
Both of their bithdays are coming up (three days apart) and I thought wouldn't it be cool if I got this for them.
I know it's crappy because if it wasn't my friends and I wouldn't joke about it all the time. I also know a well established tank is best for sps.
And the contest calls for a picture of a suitable , crappy reef tank for SPS.
So now you know.

cannonman

Vicegrips hands down, it's a well established tank, has metal halide, and is actually suitable for SPS. Oh yeah, and it's Crappy with a capital C.

azaintcold

Why not:
All levels are in check, ammo 0 , trites 0 nitrates undetectable, calcium 450+
sg: 1.025 etc.
Tank is a 150 gallon with 750 w metal halides. It is going to be a SPS tank. I have the clean up crew , 1 zoo rock, 1 leather, and 1 plate coral. Its been cycled for 1-2 months. Its a painful wait for the 6 month point to add SPS, but would be nice to try some frags for this price. 50 gallon sump /fuge as well.

hefner413

I am in the process of trying to get everything FAKE out of my tank and starting to build a reef. My tank is 5 mos old, but is doing quite well. And I read, read, read - your frags will be well taken care of, that's for sure.
Please help me turn my FAKE tank into a REAL REEF.
And by the way - no matter who wins, it's really cool that you're doing this!
Good luck ALL.

puffer32

Originally Posted by Hefner413
I am in the process of trying to get everything FAKE out of my tank and starting to build a reef. My tank is 5 mos old, but is doing quite well. And I read, read, read - your frags will be well taken care of, that's for sure.
Please help me turn my FAKE tank into a REAL REEF.
And by the way - no matter who wins, it's really cool that you're doing this!
Good luck ALL.

You get my vote if you take that strip out of the middle of your tank
What is it????

S

saltycrab

Heres mine its been up for a month but the levels have been 0 for Ammonia, Nitrate, and Nitrite the entire time since it was started with LR and LS that was fully cured. Calcium is at 400, pH is 8.4, Salinity is 1.026. I have HO T5s that should be fine for SPS and I just did a 25% water change. BTW who ever wins should have to use a Avatar that says "crappiest reefer".

hefner413

Originally Posted by puffer32
You get my vote if you take that strip out of the middle of your tank
What is it????
Haha - It's a split acrylic tank - two sides with two horizontal tubes connecting the two. It's a SeaClear Tank. I've looked for one similar, but can't find one. I bought it used. It was pretty old - about 15 yrs old, and pretty beat up. I buffed out the acrylic with Novus and sanded/refinished the stand.
The fish love to swim back and forth - and some "surf" in current in the tubes.
the biggest disadvantage is that it kinda limits me on space in a way - like having 2 small tanks rather than 1 large one.
Since I can't take it out, can I still get your vote?!

puffer32

Originally Posted by Hefner413
Since I can't take it out, can I still get your vote?!
Only if i can see a pic of a fish in the tube

We need a contest for the most unique kind of tank, THEN you can get my vote

hefner413

Well, my damsel was the only one surfing right now. My clowns usually go for a while - I'll try to catch them surfin sometime tonight