Crashed the track bike this past weekend

tangman99

Still not sure what happened. I was running five seconds off expert times and the bike felt like it was on rails. Not sure if the rear tire gave out or if I hit some liquid on the track. It was strange weekend with 15 crashes and four ambulance transports. I didn't get hurt at all and finished the weekend riding my wife's GSXR-600 track bike. I have a lot of work ahead of me getting this put back together. Pretty much everything that bolts onto the bike was destroyed or damaged because it tumbled. Frame appears to be intact and no liquid leaking so radiator and engine block should still be good.
If you want to try this at home, put on a set of race leathers, have someone drive you down the interstate at 70 miles per hour, open the door and roll out onto the road. (Just kidding as I didn't have to worry about a car running over me.)

kjr_trig

That was a sweet video....Being that you walked away ok and all that is.
Agree with above, that is also why I like to go fast in things with 4 wheels.

reefraff

Looked like a dark spot on the track about 43 second in that looked like a patch. May have picked up some tar or cut a tire on that???

tangman99

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///forum/thread/381880/crashed-the-track-bike-this-past-weekend#post_3329632
Looked like a dark spot on the track about 43 second in that looked like a patch. May have picked up some tar or cut a tire on that???
That is a patch that has been there for years. Several on the track from where motorcycles crashed and literally burned. They are perfectly fine to run over and have plenty of grip and we use them for reference marks all the time but they do take getting used to. I have had some of my friends that race analyze the video for me and I learned two things. I actually tucked the front before the back let go. If you notice in the slow motions shot, the bars kick to the left and snap back indicating the front tucking and then the rear letting go. If the rear had let go by itself, the bars would have went to the right. Most agree I had too much lean angle and my body position was not right. I have a hard time with left handers because I broke my collar bone and messed up my left shoulder in a previous crash so it makes it hard for me to support myself on the left. Physics took over and I went for a ride.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangMan99 http:///forum/thread/381880/crashed-the-track-bike-this-past-weekend#post_3329664
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/thread/381880/crashed-the-track-bike-this-past-weekend#post_3329632
That is a patch that has been there for years. Several on the track from where motorcycles crashed and literally burned. They are perfectly fine to run over and have plenty of grip and we use them for reference marks all the time but they do take getting used to. I have had some of my friends that race analyze the video for me and I learned two things. I actually tucked the front before the back let go. If you notice in the slow motions shot, the bars kick to the left and snap back indicating the front tucking and then the rear letting go. If the rear had let go by itself, the bars would have went to the right. Most agree I had too much lean angle and my body position was not right. I have a hard time with left handers because I broke my collar bone and messed up my left shoulder in a previous crash so it makes it hard for me to support myself on the left. Physics took over and I went for a ride.
Physics can be a B....

u mike

wild ride!!!!! glad you are o k. what size bike are you racing.
will always keep that vision in the back of my mind when crusing along on my 750.

shogun323

Saw what you mean about tucking the front. Thank God the fine people of Alpinestars did their work to keep you in one piece!!