Creating a level stand

phixer

Trying to find the best way to create a level surface for a big stand. Its 22FT long and 3FT wide. No pics sorry, I dont have permission. Since its so long there will be a small amount of uneveness. Im thinking the best way to level this would be to use a thin layer of surface leveling cement. The problem is Im not sure how will it will hold up under the compression pressure of the tank. Ive seen other stands constructed this way but dont know how the cement holds up long term under the pressure of the tank sitting on it. The max thickness for the cement will be 1" Any ideas?

phixer

Originally Posted by myreef05
Ok, never saw a 22 foot tank. :notsure:

Similar design to this but plywood/acrylic and longer.
http://www.anythingfish.com/Todd's%20Cement%202500/Todd's_Concrete_2500_Gallon_Aquarium.htm

autofreak44

"place under the tank a 5/8 inch sheet of plywood and a 1/2 inch sheet of polystyreene cut to the dimensions of the tank. these layers will even out any imperfections in the suppporting surface and distribute the load of the tank"
quote from Salt Water Aquariums for Dummies

phixer

Thats what I normally do to even out any surface imperfections, I dont know if the foam would create a level surface if it is sloping though.

reefforbrains

Phixer- Oh I gotta come and help on this if your starting the build in California.
I would use a laser transit. or even a water level for the rough spot leveling for your grade. It is about as exact as you can get for incremental measurments over your particular surface, but for smoothing or floating the footing with something I would vote for such as vinyl concrete or Level quick. You want to be as consistent as possible with the level quick. going to thick or too thin makes it crumbly.
Avail at HD in flooring dept. White bag.
But without sarcasm, why not just build it level to begin with? Be a pain but not too extreme.

autofreak44

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
Phixer- Oh I gotta come and help on this if your starting the build in California.
me too

phixer

Going to be built in my basement, initially it was going to be an all acrylic tank when I odered the acrylic. Then I figured why build a 10FT tank with the back facing the wall when you can build a 20+ ft plywood tank like a public aquarium for a few bucks more. So Im going to use two 10FT long viewing windows seperated by a small pillar. The basement is an old but well settled concrete floor. Am thinking the laser level is probably the best idea and then shim to the proper ht. I have a feeling that its going to need to be shimmed a little if I dont use the leveling cement.