Critique my plumbing....please

khilgers

Heres a diagram of the plumbing I plan to do for my 75 gallon w/ a 29 gallon sump/fuge. Let me know if there is anything else you would change or add. Also the overflow will be a Lifereef single (700 gph flow) and I still can't decide on what pump. Either the mag drive 9.5 or would I need the mag 12? I'm still new to sumps so I figure I have 7' of head and I added on 1' of head per "T" or 90 elbox. Let me know what you think and thanks in advance for helping the newbie :)

bang guy

I would have an additional valve on the overflow line to make maintenance a little easier.
I would also have the 'T' to the refugium be from the overflow (before the ball valve) instead of the return.

khilgers

Originally posted by Bang Guy
I would have an additional valve on the overflow line to make maintenance a little easier.
I would also have the 'T' to the refugium be from the overflow (before the ball valve) instead of the return.

The extra ball valve on the overflow makes sense to me for cleaning and what not, that way I can shut everything down. As for the "T" going to the fuge, what would the advantage of the fuge being fed by the overflow instead of the return pump?:help:

khilgers

But you still havn't answered why the fuge should be fed by the overflow instead of the return. That part just doesn't make sense to me....explain.

bang guy

Two reasons:
1st - More water flow in the display tank. You paid big bucks for the pump, get all you can from it. Water from the display is gravity fed and therefore the water flow is cheap.
2nd - Taking the water directly from the display increases the amount of detritus that will be trapped in the refugium. This means more critters can grow in the refugium.

khilgers

Thanks for the great advice. It really helped me out. I forgot to mention that I am using 1" PVC for the overflow and return lines. I looked into 1 1/2" but that just seemed a little too big. Do you think 1" will be fine?

squidd

Good answers and good descision to feed fuge off overflow drain rather than return pump...
Only thing...in the "actual" layout of the pipe..try to drop the feed to the fuge out the "bottom" leg of the "T" rather than out the side as shown...
The way you drew it, it is very unlikely you will get much flow from the drain...
More like this..

khilgers

Originally posted by Squidd
Good answers and good descision to feed fuge off overflow drain rather than return pump...
Only thing...in the "actual" layout of the pipe..try to drop the feed to the fuge out the "bottom" leg of the "T" rather than out the side as shown...
The way you drew it, it is very unlikely you will get much flow from the drain...
More like this..

Lastly would the mag 12 pump and 1" piping have enough flow for my 75? Heres an updated plumbing design. Anything else you guys would like to add? Check valve on the return line?

bang guy

Anti siphon holes on the return. Check valves don't work well in a reef environment IMO. Too many things grow in the valve and prevent them from working well.

khilgers

Originally posted by Bang Guy
Anti siphon holes on the return. Check valves don't work well in a reef environment IMO. Too many things grow in the valve and prevent them from working well.

Where would you drill the antisiphon hole? And also this setup would be for a FOWLR tank, not a reef tank. But if I can get by with just drilling a hole instead of a check valve I would rather go that route. It woud at least save me a little $

bang guy

I drill mine right at the desired water line at a down angle of 45 degrees. The deeperinto the water they are the more water will siphon before they start working. You want a hole larger than a paperclip so you can easily clean them out occationally.

squidd

Drill hole Like this...
As far as flow...guesstimating by your set up a Mag 12 with 5' head 1" line and 3 90* elbows (for calc purposes) will give you 942 gph to the tank...
How much can your overflow drain out...???

khilgers

Originally posted by Squidd
Drill hole Like this...
As far as flow...guesstimating by your set up a Mag 12 with 5' head 1" line and 3 90* elbows (for calc purposes) will give you 942 gph to the tank...
How much can your overflow drain out...???

700 GPH, so should I opt for the mag 9 instead? I can always adjust flow with the ball valves right?

squidd

The Mag 9.5 should push 693 gph (with same specs as above) which would be perfect , no ball valve ...Run it wide open...
>No Ball Valves to Control Flow,,,No ....:nope: <

steveoutla

If you have 2 returns going into the main tank should they be on the very ends of the tank (where I drew those professional circles) or more towards the middle......or does it matter?

steveoutla

Ooops I forgot a couple more questions.
1. Is it better to use PVC for your plumbing or can you just use flexible tubing?
2. I've heard multiple theories on this; Is it better to split your drain pipe so raw water is going into your refugium or is it better to have it go through the skimmer and branch off of the return pump?
Thanks.

khilgers

I was planning on not glueing the last elbow that enters the tank, that way I could turn it if needed. I waanted to have them in the middle to avoid any additional plumbing and I figured the powerhead will do a good job with circulation.
As for the line to the fuge read up a little in the post, squidd and bang guy did and excellent job on touching that subject.
ATTENTION SQUIDD:
How are you calculating the gph flow. I've been looking at a site that sells the pumps and they have a chart on the site, but how are you doing it? It would come in handy to know these things. And what's so bad about controling flow with the aid of ball valves? Thanks