Critter ID

rg

i was wondering what something may be. i was rinsing my filter today and their was 3 liitle worm like things, the biggest being about `1/4" dark in color many legs, almost looks like a centipede. THe other two are smaller pink in color but many legs as well, almost look alike. Does anyone know what these are?

benson

Get rid of them fast. They are probably juvinile flat worms or bristel worms. See the responses to the bristel worm question on Jan. 17 by sailfin. They can get very bad, very quickly.

rg

Thanks Benson, I did read those on Sailfin but do you have any ideas how to get them out without taking all the water out? I also would hate to kill off my live rock? I currently have 3 Anemones 3 clowns 3 Damsels and 4 cleaner shrimp and a Mandrine bottom feeder. Would you requmend any thing else I can put in there? I am new to this so any help would be great. What do those worms do any ways? I just looked up the Bristleworm in a book that I have and that does not look like what I have? I can not find a photo of the flat worm.
[This message has been edited by RG (edited 01-23-2000).]

ladd

Ok, I am new at this. I have not seen any of these worms. But, after reading everyone's concerns, I looked it up. According to this web site bristleworms are a good thing. So I guess I don't get it. It says you get it from high quality live rock or sand. I was thinking of putting some live sand in my tank. Now I don't know. I searched "Bristleworms" on this site it your interested.

rg

well the book I have says to avoid having it and I think the reason is their bristles can cause a painful rash if touched. They are scavengers. But yes I would like to see the site. Thanks

janice

Interesting. The book I have says that bristleworms are bad and so does the local pet shop people. The reason is that they will attach themselves to fish, corals, invertebrae, etc. and not let go. They will wrap themselves around fish making them blind. My book even shows a picture of this. I'm still looking for a good way to get rid of them. I'm afraid to get any kind of burrowing fish or invertebrae that hangs out on the substrate (my two snails died - I'm assuming it was the worms).

ladd

Hey Jumbo Emperors.........What's your opinion on these little worms? And how big are they anyway? I saw a little thing, maybe a quarter of an inch long, no bigger than a piece of string.

the rock

the rock says....
bristleworms are harmless until they reach a certain size. they are excellent scavengers. depending on the size of your tank and what kind of fish or inverts you have you shouldn't have much of a problem with them. they will devour clams in most cases so they should be disposed of if you are keeping clams. most of the crabs and some of the shrimp will feed on them. once they get bigger than 3" they can be removed. Don't use your hands as they will sting ya a bit but it really isn't that bad, you'll just need to soak your hand and remove any spikes they left ya. its usually the nudibranches that are feeding on peoples corals, the bristleworms get a bad rap in most cases.

harris

I think that they are beneficial to a point as well. If they do get to a nusiance size you can buy a worm trap, I thought I have seen a place on the net that has them. I always like to take the natural route, try throwing in an arrow cra, if he get's a hold of the worms, he will make a good dent into there population. Also you can dunk your rock in a high saline solution to get them to leave the rock, if you fear they are on there. But you risk losing some less hardy organisms. Arrow crab is the way to go.

the rock

the rock says....
agree with harris. and worms traps are easy to make yourself or you can find them just about in any pet store. arrow crabs are known to feed on bristleworms as are other shirmp and crabs. dipping your liverock in a high salinity solution is definately a way to get them to poke their heads out and then they can be pulled out with tweezers.

aaron

From what i have read there is one speacies that eats corals. They range in size from about 1/2" to more than a foot. Most are benign and actually good for your sand bed.
If you really want to get rid of them crabs and shrimp are good but if your tank is not over stocked and you can aand one or two small fish try a six-line wrasse and or a smaller type of basslet (strawberry, skunk,etc.). Good luck.

rg

I would like to say thanks for everyones help. after watching my tank for hours and taking a few of these little things to my local saltwater fish store, the owner had told me that they were brain shrimp? how I got them I do not know? as I said I had watched my tank for hours and I did see a bristel worm come out of one of my live rocks. it was about 4" long. so after doing so more research on those little guys I tried some thing that I had found on the net. that was putting the rock that he was in into a salt soultion of 1.026. It took care of that worm and my rock is still alive.
just wanted to let everyone know how I took care of my problem.Thanks again

the rock

the rock says....
RG didn't you read my post about dipping them in high salinity? and do you mean brine shrimp?

rg

Yes Rock I did read your reply and that is what got me to look more into it. and yes thats what I meant on the shrimp. sorry my spelling sucks
I was just letting everyone know what I had done and to say thanks to everyone for there input.

harris

Wait who thought of the high saline solution?
Give cresit where credit is due.
Just happy to help out a fellow aquarist.
Harris