critters in the filter

tlk

I use an emperor 400 ho filter. I was changing the filter today and noticed a bunch of little critters (pods?) swimming around. Should they be dumped back into the main tank?

broncofish

If you have a mandarin definately, if not I would just dump half in, and leave the other half to reproduce in a safe place. Either way if they found their way in there once they will do it again.

D

daniel411

I've never heard of anyone complain about having to many pods. Hmm.. good question, can you have too many pods?

tlk

Originally posted by Daniel411
I've never heard of anyone complain about having to many pods. Hmm.. good question, can you have too many pods?

I am not complaining. I am wondering if they should be dumped back into the main tank.

lesleybird

Originally posted by broncofish
no unless it is a Cirolanid Isopods

What the H is that in the picture? Is that for real? How big are they and what do they do? Are they good for the tank? Or trouble makers? Looks like some freaky mean alien!!! I hope that is a hudge enlargement??
Lesley

lesa

Hey Cb I hope that thing growing in your filter systems does not look like that;)
I really liked them before the blown up pictures:p
Talk about nightmares since the tank is on my side of the bed.
Somethings are better off not known:D

Lesa, just try not to think about the dust mites in your bed ;)

Then again they are
just like your own personal clean up crew. :)

broncofish

Let me clarify that the pictures myself and sammy have posted are NOT COPEPODS, the are isopods, often refered to as fish lice. I believe my picture comes from bang guy. They are not all that common. The one that Sammy had posted is downright scary and will never be seen in an aquarium.

lurch694u

Maybe we should start a show me your pods thread. It would be interesting to see all of those pods close up like that.
Maybe a new challenge for ryebread:eek: :D
I wonder if a macro on a camera can get that close?

broncofish

Originally posted by Lurch694u
Maybe a new challenge for ryebread:eek: :D
I wonder if a macro on a camera can get that close?

I don't think it would actually be much of a challange for rye......and yes they can get up that close, Bang has some great pod pics.

cb

That's pretty scary looking and I don't want a close-up of the one in my filter because i would prbably never touch the filter again.:D Lesa-- Just when you thought it was safe because you caught the crab.LOL better just keep the night light a burnin.:D