crocea clam is digging itself in the sand.

S

siptang

So I have baby crocea clam and I have him situated in the subtrate and it started to burrow. One thing that I read that is that they bury themselves in the rocks in the nature by getting out acid to melt the rocks. Question is this. Will it make a hole in my tank? I know it sounds ridiculous but had to ask.

geoj

If you keep it on the sand put a shell or flat rock under it. You don't want the clam to attach to the glass bottom because it can be hard to remove the clam if you wanted to place it in some other spot.

coralreefertom

Crocea and Maxima clams arealos known as boring clams. The reason being, and your finding it out first hand, is they rub, causing friction which allows them to mold themselves into a rock that they are attached it.
Squamosa, Gigas, Derasa and Hippopas clams live in sandy bottomed areas.
Care, as mentioned above, needs to be addressed when removing a clam or changing its location not to injure it foot or byssal strands. If these are damaged, the end result is always death of the clam. If the clam is attached, you can use a razor blade or credit card and try to cut/ pry off the clams byssal threads as far away from the clams shell as possible.

S

siptang

thanks for the information!
lol you do know that this was 6 months old right? hahahahaha
thanks again though.

coralreefertom

Oooopppps,
I just realized how old this thread is! I always tend to respond without much consideration for the date...
I figure, if my info helps a fellow hobbyist...then t's worth it!
Thanks though for your response...
Best of luck to you...

S

siptang

Thank you much friend. I'm sure it will help someone who will go through the same problems down the road.
Welcome to the forums by the way.

S

siptang

Hey Jack!
My clam was eaten by crazy psychopath wild conch... T_T
I sold my large deresa to make some room in my tank and now I'm clam less sigh... we will see how things go and i will find one later.

mr. limpid

Sorry to hear that Richard. I'm still working on my Refum, my macro is doing well (not dead yet so considering that a plus) just picked up 5lbs of LR rubble its in my QT.

S

siptang

Awesome!!!
Did you figure out what you wanted to do with the skimmer yet?
About my clam, ahhh what can we do? It's a bad part of this hobby...

mr. limpid

Yes, the Octopus BH2000 will fit, just saving up for it need another $50. My wife is asking how my LR is doing, she thinks she's funny.

S

siptang

lol at your wife's comment.
I'm glad that things are coming along. :)
I thought you weren't getting an octopus due to the inability to take out the motor?

S

siptang

one that I have.
Red sea skimmer was the one that I thought I had laying around in the garage.