Crocea Clam

dplantz

I have a established JBJ 28g Nano Cube with a 14K 150W bulb with various corals. My question is that I have always wanted a clam and have read 2 books with tons on these clams. I have the space in my sand bed for a clam and I read that they only reach about 6" max. Is this too big for my tank? My LFS has a healthy specimin with a mantle coloration to die for and i'm friends with the manager who said if It got too big on me he'd buy it off of me. Could I have a Crocea clam full size in my aquarium, or would I need to sell it at a certain size?

nietzsche

you could get the clam, but they prefer to attach to rock or something else. id place it halfways up on your rockwork and itll fall over until it ends up being in a spot where it prefers.. make sure to have the mantle facing upwards towards the light. you could get a 3"-4" to start off with
make sure you dont have fish that will nip at the mantle like some blennies and angels.
when you get the clam make sure to brush the shell with a toothbrush to remove any unwanted hitchhikers like pyram eggs, and inspect the bottom of the clam to see if there are any predators attached to it
keep alkalinity stable as well as your magnesium and make sure powerheads are not facing the clam or in a position where the clams mantle cant extend well to capture light

paintballer768

Originally Posted by nietzsche
http:///forum/post/2605817
you could get the clam, but they prefer to attach to rock or something else. id place it halfways up on your rockwork and itll fall over until it ends up being in a spot where it prefers.. make sure to have the mantle facing upwards towards the light. you could get a 3"-4" to start off with
Mine is on the sandbed, yet is attached through the sand grains to the closest rock, about 1" away, with the white byssal threads.
Also note, that if you try to move the clam while its attached, its not going to happen unless you move the rock also. After the process, the clam will likely ditch the threads and create new ones to its liking. I did that once and I thought the clam died and its guts were on the bottom of my tank haha.

dplantz

Thank you all for your responses, now I just have to wait for my new clam to arrive, the one I wanted got bought at my LFS, :( too slow.