Crocea help

I bought a saltwater tank from a marine who is moving to Hawii. It is a 46 gallon bow front and it has a crocea clam in it. The tank only has 95w combo one white and one acetinic light. I just ordered a nova pro t5 light. What do I need to do to switch over the lights without harming the clam and anenome. What else do I need to know about my new tank( never done saltwater before but read a lot of books) and how do I spot feed a clam.

forsfed50

Clams need good lighting. The switch over is no problem. The
exact amount of lighting is the issue. Florida joe seems to be
the person to ask on clams.

Also, I have put him on the rocks in different spots several times and he wont stay. He keeps falling to the bottom, how do you get a clam to stay??

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by ilovemynewtank
http:///forum/post/2878119
Also, I have put him on the rocks in different spots several times and he wont stay. He keeps falling to the bottom, how do you get a clam to stay??
if you have the T5's, I guess its ok for him to be on the sand bed.

spanko

Quote:
"Clams less than 2 inches require feeding. Live phytoplankton is probably the best choice. Another good option is oyster eggs. Never feed clams large particles of foods such as Mysis, Brine or any type of shrimp, and never target feed. If its individual particles are visible then it's probably too big. Clams that are around 3 inches or larger can rely 100% on photosynthesis and will not demand feeding."

nycbob

even with the nova pro, u cant leave it on the sandbed. u need to put the crocea on a flat piece of rock, within 1 foot away from the light.

jackri

I would really move him away from the powerhead, when your t-5's come in the sand bed would probably be the most ideal location. Being in front of the powerhead could put undo stress on it and slowly deteriorate it. I've heard they can slowly die over the course of several months.

anonome

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/2881592
I would really move him away from the powerhead, when your t-5's come in the sand bed would probably be the most ideal location. Being in front of the powerhead could put undo stress on it and slowly deteriorate it. I've heard they can slowly die over the course of several months.
Not crocea clams......they are rock boring clams, they need rock to feel really happy and secure. Find a rock for the clam to rest on, and the rest will be history...a happy clam. Putting a crocea on the sand will only be short term, bristleworms will start to attack the foot, and before long they will kill it. Move it up on the rock.
Agree with putting it too close to the powerhead, not a good idea, it needs water movement, but not full force on it. It will spend too much time compensating for the force, and weaken it.
Croceas are the most light seeking clams out there, the higher the better.

candycane

Spot feeding a clam can harm it by causing it to draw in particles that are too large for it to consume. I have NEVER seen a Crocea burrow in a home aquarium as of yet. I use Reed Maricultures food, it is easily found. They make a specific Shellfish Diet that is incredible when it comes to fat, protein and amino acids. While Croceas are one of the clams that may require a higher flow because they need to injest more food (LONG explanation), clams will usually constantly move around at the size.
Addition: Clams consume mainly nanoplankton when you are looking for a food. It tends to range from 2-25 microns or something like that.

tarantulandy

Originally Posted by candycane
http:///forum/post/2892979
I have NEVER seen a Crocea burrow in a home aquarium as of yet.
Hey Candycane,
I will make a new thread on this sometime soon but I purchased a clam around 2 or 3 months ago and it has attached to a rock quite securely. I believe it is a crocea but I'm not for sure. I'll make a thread with pictures.
Is that what you were referring to with your above statement? Just curious really... so far my clam seems very happy and I'd like to keep it that way.

candycane

I have never seen them burrow in to rock; which they do all the time in the wild. I see them burry themselves all the time in to sand and crushed coral and what not........sometimes they accidently cover up their siphons in some of the tanks that I have.

harris28

I think you will be fine with T-5's and on the sand. I have a crocea clam which I have had over a year now and it is growing evident of the white growth on the shell. I have had it in the sand since day on. It is attached securely to a rock that is under the sand. It is growing and no bristle worms have killed it, but no sooner than I say that it will die tomorrow
. And this is in a 75gal with Aquactinics Tx5.

saltfan

Originally Posted by Harris28
http:///forum/post/2959229
I think you will be fine with T-5's and on the sand. I have a crocea clam which I have had over a year now and it is growing evident of the white growth on the shell. I have had it in the sand since day on. It is attached securely to a rock that is under the sand
. It is growing and no bristle worms have killed it, but no sooner than I say that it will die tomorrow
. And this is in a 75gal with Aquactinics Tx5.
Key word