Crown Leather Question

wxv102

Hello all. I have been reading this message board and I must say that most the people here seem to be very good about helping others.
Now the question. I have had saltwater aquariums since I was born (Now 29yrs) my father and uncle started me on the addictive hobby. Recently I bagan to convert my 75gal to a reef. I bought the live rock and made sure that the inhabitants were reef ready. (Still running my wet dry) My water is perfect when measured sal=1.023 and all tests show OK. So yesterday I bought my 1st coral, a crown leather. I brought it home and acclimated it, placed it in the tank w/ a power head pointing at it. At the fish store it was brilliant white. Now it's open, but has brownish pink polyps extended and the color appears to be more of a light brown, is this normal. Also, a hermit that was in the rock that the coral came with spends alot of time probing the new coral. Any thoughts? My lights are 220W of power compact 1/2 7100 atinic and 1/2 6700 whites.

fishfreek

Is the leather you are talkng about a toadstool? If so, mine has pink/brownish polyps that are about 3/4"-1" long. Your light sounds on the lower side but if you keep the coral in the upper 1/2 of your tank it shold do fine.
As far as the crab goes watch it and make sure its not munching on the coral itself, if it does, i would suggest removing it. What color is it?

wxv102

fishfreak,
Thanks for the reply. I have been a little nervious today, because I really want this to be a success.
At the LFS the coral was only refered to as a crown leather. I have searched on the internet, and It does seem to look very similar to a toadstool. I can only say that the polyps are extended about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch. They are tubular with a very small finger like projections that are hard to see. The polyps do not look like a flower. More like a organ pipe with rust around the tips. The coral seems very happy, I am just concerned at how much of a color change has occured. However, at the LFS, the lighting was much stronger, 2@175 MH and 2@65 PC. (Maybe the coral was not happy at the LFS. It didn't have any polyps out. The LFS told me that they came out for only a few hours a day...now the polyps are out all of the time)
The small hermit is blue.