Crushed Coral Ideas Please

mcbdz

I bought a 240 gallon tank I'm planning on setting up in a couple of months.
Along with the tank and cabnet I have 3 5gallon buckets of crushed coral. What can I do with this?
I think it is such a waste just to trash it. Can it be crushed more to make a sand?
I would love to be able to use it some how. All this buffering subtrate with nowhere to go.
Any IDEAS? We got to beable to recycle this stuff.

teen

i think it can be used in a calcium reactor.
if not kitty litter. maybe to dry up oil in your drive way? otherwise i would ditch it.

reefkprz

use it to make DIY LR, or figure out a way to crush it down to sand size. Use thinset super glue and make your self coral plugs for fragging onto (you could make a boat load of them with that much CC), use it in a high PH freshwater tank, use it in a garden for planting hardness loving plants in acidic soil (also helps increase drainage). I can list more ways to use it if you need.

petjunkie

I gave 100 pound to the pet store since they have a hard time keeping up ph but I was planning on throwing it on a gravel road.
Didn't know what else to do with bucketfuls of the crap.

mcbdz

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
use it to make DIY LR, or figure out a way to crush it down to sand size. Use thinset super glue and make your self coral plugs for fragging onto (you could make a boat load of them with that much CC), use it in a high PH freshwater tank, use it in a garden for planting hardness loving plants in acidic soil (also helps increase drainage). I can list more ways to use it if you need.
I would love to make it into sand considering I need about 190lbs of sand for the tank. Any ideas to make sure its sand and not dust?

dogstar

I would not crush it up to use if you plan on keeping fish that interact with the substrate like sifters, shifters or burrowers....shape edges can be harmfull not only to these fish but also many organisums that you might like to inhabit it.

reefkprz

actually yes. two pieces of 1/4 inch plate steel, freshly buffed to remove machine grease and rust. a bench vise turned on end, set plate one on the vise jaw, cover with CC then set plate 2 over that and slowly close the vise backing off once in a while to check approximate grain size, dump onto a screen with appropriate sized holes (5mm maybe) over plastic to screen out the largest pieces recrush try again. rinse well to get rid of the dust.