Crushed Coral or Sand?

binhzino

I want to put sand in my tank instead of crushed coral, is there a specific method to replace the crushed coral? I have 65 lbs of live rock and couple of fishes. I wanted to replace the CC because I heard it causes a lot of problems. If there's no way to remove it, how would I clean the "waste" in the crushed coral. Sorry for so many Q's I am new at this.

T

thomas712

There is no real specific way to do it, if all you have are fish and live rock and no corals your duty is clear. Just remove the live rock, syphon some water into the tub with the liverock and then remove all the crushed coral you can. You can just simply replace with live sand or get dry sand and cure it yourself. As long as you keep your filter media wet you should do ok. You can save the wet crushed coral, place into some clean nylons and use it to help seed the bacteria again if you like.
Thomas

gfk

if you want it all out, take out the rock, fish and water and put it all in a few garbage cans, then shop vac the cc out and put it all back in. might be hard though, i only had a 12 gallon when i did it