crushed coral question ?

weber518

I hear that if crushed coral (base) is not properly maintained it can cause a nitrate spike, is this true ? If so, what is the proper maintenance for a crushed coral base to prevent such a problem.

ifirefight

Vaccuming the CC when you do a water change. Be advised....there are going to be LOTS of people to try to persuade you to start out with sand instead of CC. ***)

gypsana

I have CC and never had a spike but if I had to do it all over again I would go with sand. The idiot At the LFS told me to go with the coral. The only benefit on my opinion is the way it looks, that is when it is clean. I vacuum mine with water changes approx. every three weeks.

T

tizzo

Much much maintanance keeping it clean properly.
On my new tank, it will be sand also. CC iS pretty, but not worth the extra work IMO.

timt6379

well, i asked the sam question and i really didnt want 2 run into a ton of problems down the road, and 1 less mantanance procedure 2 preform on the tank is worth it. so i just removed it and bought live sand.

grumpygils

Originally Posted by WEBER518
I hear that if crushed coral (base) is not properly maintained it can cause a nitrate spike, is this true ? If so, what is the proper maintenance for a crushed coral base to prevent such a problem.
I have LS in all of my tanks except my frag with crushed coral. The cc in the frag buffers well and keeps my CA up. It is only 1/2 inch deap and I have a huge clean up crew.
Mc