CRUSHED OYSTER SHELLS

squareferrin

I AM SETTING UP MY FIRST TANK, AND A LOCAL STORE SAID I COULD USE CRUSHED OYSTER SHELLS WHICH I HAVE A LARGE SUPPLY OF. COULD SOMEONE LET ME KNOW IF THIS IS EXCEPTABLE AS I WOULD HATE TO KILL THE FIRST STARTUP OF FISH, OR FUTURE FISH I WOULD LIKE TO ADD.

fshhub

welcome to the board and the hobby, your gonna love it
and as for the crushed shell, no it would nto kill hte tank, but it is a long way from the best choice you have, a dep sand bed of 4 to 6 inches is actually best, crushed coral and or crushed shells will work, but provides none of the benefits of sand, a deep sand bed actually acts as a natural biological filter an dgoes a long way towards the removal of nitrates(naturally) and a healthy hapy tank, where as cc or cs does not, well could if you had about 12 to 16 inches of it
HTH

ruaround

The shells are fine, just keep the vacuumed well, atleast weekly. The shells will trap detritus (fish poop) and will eventually make your nitrates go up. The DSB is a great substrate but is spendy. There are ways to do it fairly cheap by using south down or quikcrete play sand and "seeding" it with live sand.

rockster

I have been pondering about crushed oyster shells to add in my sump. I think they will provide a little more calcium in the system. For now I'm using Oscal tablets, these are made of oyster shells, very water soluble. I just remove the green coating and drop it in my sump once a week. It worked for me...so far no problem yet. :)