CUC Questions

gliderjohn

I added a CUC yesterday consisting of 5 Mexican Turbos, 10 small astreas, 10blue leg hermits and 3 peppermint shrimp. LFS suggested I wait on getting Nassarius until I begin to add fish - probably in a couple of weeks. They all acclimated well and went right to work on the algae. (One hermit, though, went head to head with another this afternoon. The one had the other by the throat, wrestled him off the rock, and both fell twisting and turning to the bottom of the tank. Looked like something out of the movies! I separated them and that was the end of that!)
My questions -Is there anything I should be feeding them in addition to the algae they are eating? Will they eventually eat all the algae, leaving them nothing to eat? LFS (after asking him) suggested flake food for the shrimp as an additional food. The shrimp found homes in the rock toward the left and back of the tank and pretty much spend most of their time there.
I turned off the PH and tried to drop a few flakes in their area this evening, but they didn't notice them and they floated them away. Is there a trick to getting the food to them?

shoregirl2

You could try some sinking pellets, the ones I have drop right to the bottom, and its funny watching the hermits, shrimp etc. scramble to get to them first.

cpg

I was told you should feed your tank for the cuc 1-2 per week until your stock enters..

gliderjohn

Originally Posted by Shoregirl2
http:///forum/post/2520010
You could try some sinking pellets, the ones I have drop right to the bottom, and its funny watching the hermits, shrimp etc. scramble to get to them first.
How often do you feed them and for how long? When they are done, do you remove what remains of the pellets?
The only pellets I could find at the LFS were for fresh water fish. Do they work?

gliderjohn

Most of the heavy algae that covered my rocks has now been eaten by the snails. Should I give them something like sheet algae now? Or will they survive without any additional food?
If I should give something more to eat, how much and how often?
Thanks.

gliderjohn

46 gl bf. 45lbs. live rock. I can't see that the turbos have eaten in the last two days.
I'm experimenting with algae sheets. I just put a 2"x3" piece into the tank attached to a clip. One of the turbos found the sheet and has gorged himself on it. The others haven't found it yet.

Well, if theres no visible algae you should offer an algae sheets. I would just offer it once a week, until it gets green again.