CUC

aduvall

So I've seen some debate/discussion on how many/much Clean up crew you need. (for those new to the hobby CUC = Clean up Crew = stars, snails, crabs, etc.)

Is there a general rule that you guys go by? Is there a "bare minimum" you think a tank should have? I personally have a Fish only, but this can be other tanks as well if you so desire!

I have a 65g. With 5 fish and about 60lbs of live rock.

silverado61

Different snails have different feeding habits and their mouths are shaped different so they consume different types of algae.
My advice would be to start with a small number of different types of snails depending on what each type eats. Then keep an eye on your tank and the algae growth and slowly work your way up to what you need to maintain it. Don't go over board or they could starve to death.

silverado61

Depending on the age of the tank, I would start with about 20 nassarius and no more than 10 of each of these: turbo, astrea, nerite and small cerith. Again, each does a different job so start low and slowly work your way up to what you need to get your tank clean without starving them.