Cuddle Fish/ Octopus

How hard are these to keep? I imagine pretty difficult? Are there any that stay relatively smaller? If so how small would you say? Can i get some husbandry info on these suckers.

sharkboy13

really theyre similar to a puppy or little kid, they need evrything to be locked up or covered up and need it clean otherwise they'll kill themselves. aside from that i think theyre fairly easy, just no blue ring octos.

Originally Posted by Sharkboy13
really theyre similar to a puppy or little kid, they need evrything to be locked up or covered up and need it clean otherwise they'll kill themselves. aside from that i think theyre fairly easy, just no blue ring octos.
Yeah I wouldnt want anything along the lines of a blue ring. Only thing I like that is venomous is Lionfish. What kind of Octopi are pretty commonly available for purchase? Or cuddle fish.

sharkboy13

cuttlefish ive seen only once ever, as for octo species im not sure since all they usually say r octopus, ud have took browse around and see what the scientific names is

mike22cha

Tonmo provides places where they have found octos for sale and how to keep an octo. Cuttlefish are definantly diffucult and I wouldn't even try. The dwarf octo is very shy and you won't see it a lot with alot of rockwork.

05xrunner

the most common octos they sell in stores are usually dwarf and Bimacs.
Dwarf only have a life span of around 6-8months and are nocturnal so you will never see it.
Bimacs are much more active and have a life of around 1-1.5years
they get big about 2foot tip to tip.
they really are not that hard to care for as long as you have the tank sealed and feed them live food preferably saltwater food and make sure you keep up with the water quality because of the increased bioload of being messy eaters and such.
bimacs are cold water so a temp of around 62-65 would be good. Dwarf would be fine around 70-72.
You just gotta be able to put the time into it. Cuttle fish i would imagine are the same..I dont think they have as much of an ability to get out of a tank like an octo since they have such smaller tentacles and might not be able to climb out. Id cover the same anyway though.
Just gotta deal with the downs..short life span and take alot of extra work. I just got another octo and well stupid thing laid eggs after 2weeks of having it. once they do this its meaning near the end. So that sucks.

jon321

The main problem with cuttlefish/squid/etc is that they are generally very large, active animals and most are cold water. As far as Ive seen, most cuttlefish/squid live about 3-5 years and need minimum a good 150g chilled tank. This is extremely expensive for 1 animal. There are some smaller, tropical cuttlefish that are next to impossible to obtain, even as far as squid/cuttlefish go.
Id however highly recommend a bimac or vulgaris octopus if you are willing to provide the proper setup.
Jon

05xrunner

I have always kept my bimacs in a 20..and had them live for almost a year. If you ask tonmo they will tell you 55gal min...Just keep up on the water quality.
Cuttle fish are not hard to get and they are the same as bimacs cold water. So saying a cuttle would be to hard needing a chiller..the bimac will be the same.
You can keep it warmer like 72 and should be ok...colder water will help with a longer life though.

texasmetal

If you want to keep an octopus and have it enjoy its short lifespan, put it in a larger tank. It will be more likely to show you its dynamic camo abilities and problem solving skills, as well as get the exercise it should have. Sure, you can keep a Bimac in a 20, and you can live in a closet too. I bet you'd be happier and much healthier in a larger space though. See my point?
Cuttlefish S. Bandensis are good candidates for the smaller aquarium, 30 gallon minimum. They only reach 3-4 inches, and breed readily (if they don't eat each other). S. Officianalis grow fairly large and need a 150+. They tend to jet backwards when frightened, so putting them in a small tank would result in them most likely busting their mantles open, getting infections, and dieing, before their year and a half or so has expired.
I kept O. Mercatoris for 4 months, of its 6-8 month lifespan. It was not a baby when I got it. They are easy to maintain, don't require quite as stout of filtration, but only eat LIVE food (shrimp, etc.) They don't need a chiller, can be kept at lower 70's.
And I must say he enjoyed sharing a tank with other fish. When I put him alone in his own tank, he only stayed in his shell, never came out. If I were to guess, I would say he was bored. This behaviour changed as soon as I put him back in with the other fish. He was in a large critter keeper mind you. The dwarf lion would have eaten him, though he thought he could take it...
TONMO is a must for anyone looking for Cephalopod information.

mike22cha

I wouldn't recommend a biamac for 20. Octo's can squeeze into tight spots so i can see it living in a 20. But a biamacs lifespan is 1-2 years so the larger the tank (over 50g) the healthier happier biamac.