cured live rock?

gabe

What does it mean when someone says that their live rock has been cured. What is the curring prosses and how do you cure it

greg

Originally posted by gabe:
What does it mean when someone says that their live rock has been cured. What is the curring prosses and how do you cure it

live rock wil always suffer "die off" during shipping.because it contains bacteria and live organisms it requires oxygenation and filtration just like everything else.so whe it goes without this things "die off"if you were to put live rock in your tank right after shipping you would have spikes in ammonia and nitrites.so to cure your live rock have a very large container or tank waiting and all need is a protein skimmer this acts to oxygenate/filter/and circulate.this should be done with no light for approx. 2 weeks to be on the safe side.keep checking ammonia/nitrite levels.good luck.if dont think this is for you i looked around the lfs until i found someone willing to sell it at a low price if i bought in bulk.

krazzydart

well,,, it is rock that has been in water for awhile and the dead stuff falls off and new life starts to come to...... What I do is have a seperate tank with good water flow in it and let it in there for about 2 weeks (lights off) and then change half the water and start giving it about 6 hrs of light a day and you will then see the coraline starting to come in (purples,reds,...ect) I like to set up a new tank this way because the rock helps cycle the "NEW" tank .

fishgirl

Can you cure LR in your new tank to create ammonia/nitrite/nitrate spikes on purpose to cycle the tank, and then rock added later should be pre-cured, right?

mr . salty

I used LR to cycle my tank, and it worked great. I guess i'm lucky, my lfs has beautiful cured LR, I take it home and put it right into my tank.It's a little expensive, $8.00 per lb. but it's nice stuff. STEVE