Cured live rock????

jmestayer1

At my LFS they keep the live rock in large bins with water and a protein skimmer. Is this cured? If so, can I just buy it and add it to the tank. I haven't added rock since the tank cycled and I don't want to send it through another cycle.

nicetry

Many lfs cure their own rock. If the lfs has had the rock for a few weeks, it is likely cured and can safely be placed directly in your tank. I buy all my cured rock from my lfs and have never had a problem.

jmestayer1

I have read that you still need to scrub it? If you have had no problems, I may just try it. I just don't want to send the tank through a cycle again.

tacoma38

I have added 4 to 5 pds rocks and it not cycle .Or you can let it sit at the store awhile,if they get alot in,I wait as long as i can before i buy.But it depends if u are reefing it,then u will want to be real careful.

jmestayer1

I do have coral. Maybe I will just pick from the bottom of the bin, he has 5 bins or so that are at least 100 gal. each, so I am sure it has been there for a while. Would it help if I only added a few lbs at a time? I am looking to add about 10 more lbs.

tacoma38

Yes it would,a little at a time.Or you could cure it youself..test alot.but with coral it can be to late.Be careful alot of people have killed everything doing this.My sister did just that!And then quit the hobby.

catawaba

Pick up a piece and smell it. It should smell clean; not sour or like sulfur, or 'foul' smelling.