Cured Rock In 5 Days!!!!

lil.guppy

Ok so I know it can take 1-4 weeks to cure rock so I want to know what ya'll did to cure yours
This is what I did
Got it shipped over night
The tubaware container I used fit snug around the rock and there was about 4'' of water above the rock.
When I recieved the rock I placed it in fresh tank water. 13 hours later i did a 100% water change and shook the rock on the old water prior to changing it out. Then i filled the tub with fresh tank water again. I did another 100% water change with tank water 24 hours later and then did a 50% water change every day until the 5th day when it was curred.
So if this currred so fast then why does it take longer for some?

btldreef

I'm with the poster above. What makes you believe this rock is cured? 5 days may not have been long enough to notice a spike in parameters yet. Was it shipped to you in water or exposed to air?

bms

Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/post/3168422
I'm with the poster above. What makes you believe this rock is cured? 5 days may not have been long enough to notice a spike in parameters yet. Was it shipped to you in water or exposed to air?
especially with all the water changes he did. all that is going to do is dilute your water i.e. any nitrites/ammonia from the dye off isnt going to show up because you are just removing it and therefore you will not see the spike unless you leave it alone for a couple days. your rock is going to continue dying off until it stabilizes and actually cures. how does it smell?

pete159

the first thing i would have done when getting the rock is test the shipping water for ammonia.
Then i would rub off the gunk it may have had on it then put it in a big rubber maid container of fresh saltwater, then tested that water the next day for ammonia, only then would i have an idea how long the cycle/curing would take.

lil.guppy

Oh no during the whole process every morning my ammonia was testing like black or dark purple in color then I woke up and it was gone.
Since I have put it into the tank i have had no other spikes and its starting to grow stuff on it now. there are sponges on it and everything!

I got it delivered without water over night shipping