Curing Live Rock

big ed

Hi. I'm pretty new to the hobby, and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations concerning live rock. Cured or uncured. If you get uncured has anyone dipped it in really salty 1.035sg water to get rid of the nasties? Is it better to get the rock all from one place ie. Fiji, or is it better to get it from a variety of places?
Thanks for your help.

clayton

Originally posted by sundog:
There are differences of opinion, but I prefer to cure it so that I can keep as much living as possible.
I cure it under excellant lighting conditions and good filtration and lots of water changes.
You will always experience some die-off, but what is the point of having "live" rock if by curing it you kill off everything (or most everything)?

Sundog, I had the same view of curing live rock as you - whats the point of curing / killing off what you have paid to obtain??
However someone made an interresting point to me - you will always get some die off from live rock. If you place it straight into your tank or under bright light then the nutrients comming off of the dead organisms on it will encourage the growth of algae which can swamp the rock and kill off even more of the rock.
Tricky one hey!!