Curing Live Rocks

kengaroo

I bought 9 lbs of live rock to add to my current tank which has been running for 11 months now. I placed the rocks in a 6 gallon eclipse tank that I had lying around with the filer running. 2 days later when I check the ammonia level, it was at 8.0. Should I change the water or leave it and let the tank cycle? It is just rocks in the tank. If I leave it, will the high ammonia level kill the micro organisms that are in the rocks.

katz

You need to scrub the rock at least once a week and do a 100% water change. My un-cured rock took three weeks before all of my readings were zero. You need a power head running and a heater. I did not use any filter, just lots of water movement and changing water.
Hope that helps, Katz

mopar9012

Im not sure about you HAVING to scrub the rock, if it has ugly stuff hanging from it then i would scrub it.
you should NOT do ANY water changes when rock is cycling. Just add top off water when needed.

kengaroo

If I should not do a water change, should I scrub the black spots on the rock in the current water that is in the tank or scrub them in tap water?

katz

I would google curing rocks and you will find out how to cure rocks. You can also look on this site on curing and also the Drs site.
Katz

rs1831

This is how I cured my live rock and it worked perfectly. I believe that not doing water changes just prolongs the amount of time that it takes to cure the rock.
Place the live rock in a new 30-gallon plastic garbage can. Consider adding bottom drains to the container to speed draining and water changes.
Completely cover the rock with freshly mixed saltwater, with a specific gravity of 1.021 - 1.025
Provide a heater and keep the water temperature near 80 degrees to speed die off.
Create constant water movement with a power head or air stone.
Keep the area dimly lit to prevent algae blooms.
Perform 100% water changes twice weekly.
Scrub the rock with a new nylon bristle brush or toothbrush between water changes to remove any white film or dead material.
Most rock will be fully cured in 1- 3 weeks, at which time it is safe to add to the display aquarium.
When the water conditions stabilize and ammonia and nitrite tests are zero, the rock is ready to be placed into the display aquarium.