Curing LR And Salt Help

brendac

Iam starting to cure my own LR in a 30g tank. I need to know does the water need to be warm before your salt level will go up? I started with cold water, put a heater in there and a powerhead and now I started to add my salt, but the salt reading is still at zero. Does that water need to heat up before my salt reading will show?

gexkko

Originally Posted by BrendaC
Iam starting to cure my own LR in a 30g tank. I need to know does the water need to be warm before your salt level will go up? I started with cold water, put a heater in there and a powerhead and now I started to add my salt, but the salt reading is still at zero. Does that water need to heat up before my salt reading will show?

No, you just haven't added enough salt. Make sure it is well mixed each bit you add. It is generally a good idea to add it a cup at a time, mix it, and then check the specific gravity. It takes a bit of time, but if you keep adding salt and checking, you will notice a change until you reach your desired specific gravity. 30g, while small for SW tanks, is still a lot of water and takes a lot of salt to change the specific gravity.

tangs123

no it does matter if you are using a plastic of swinging arm hydrometer,
it does have to be at a correct temperature if you read the packaging!

gexkko

Glad I didn't buy a plastic hydrometer then :) I'm actually going to order a refractometer in the next few days (hopefully).