curing some rock

S

sonicboom1

I have a 55 gallon tank with only 35 pounds of rock, so I need more. I have a spare 29 gallon tank and thought maybe I could get some live rock going over time. My question is what all should I look into for starting to get live rock? I was going to get maybe 40-50 pounds in the 29 gallon for months and let it get live, so what all do I need?

golfish

I'd just throw the new uncured live rock in the 29 with lots of flow, keep the temp in range and let it go for a few months. If you have an extra skimmer that would be a plus. I also like to run lights when I'm curing rcok, maybe just 3-4 hrs a day. You never know what your going to get.

hot883

It doesn't take a few months to cure rock. As soon as th parameters all read fine, usually 2-3 weeks then it's ready for the maintank.

golfish

Originally Posted by hot883
It doesn't take a few months to cure rock. As soon as th parameters all read fine, usually 2-3 weeks then it's ready for the maintank.

S

sonicboom1

Not cure but isnt it possible to take a few pieces of live rock with live sand and put it in the tank for months with alot of dead rock..and basically get all live rock for very cheap?

jasenhicks

Sonic, you can do that. Just treat it like a regular tank, do water change etc. Hook a skimmer up and bright lights and seed it with a few good pieces of live rock. It will take a while to get consumed but its possible. If you have the time then go for it.

golfish

I'd leave it in there for a few months...The thing about LR is you never know what your going to get. If you let it go might find somethings you don't want to introduce to your tank.
You can get the cycle to go through in a few weeks but that doesn't really mean too much too me.